Chapter 24: Moon Goddess Festival

My paws clawed at the dirt relentlessly tearing out grass with each step I took as my body propelled me forwards. It was an all out effort to escape the rogue wolf that was hot on my trail. I let out a small whimper as I could feel him getting closer. The pain just beneath Tristan's mark where the rogue bit me throbbed, acting as a small reminder of just how crucial it is that I succeeded in getting away.

I silently prayed that the trace amounts of black ice that was slipped into my drink didn't have any negative effects on the baby. There will be hell to pay once I am able to get some help. Not one ounce of sympathy will be given to this bastard, none! My heart felt heavy as my mind came up with different torture tactics on how to make him suffer.

I was grateful that I was still able to shift, me being the only one out of the four of us, but devastated that I couldn't mindlink anyone. I suppose that was the plan all along, just enough black ice so we couldn't let anyone know where to find us or to shift so that we could defend ourselves...at least not until it was too late. Seeing that I'm pregnant, maybe he didn't give me as much as he did everyone else. That could just be wishful thinking.

A guilty feeling ran throughout me at the very thought of leaving Troy's mate Amy, Juan's mate Kelly, and Rico's mate Rosebelle behind. You had to leave them behind in order to help them. My wolf reminded me. The voice seemed unfamiliar. It's been so long since I last shifted, as a matter of fact I haven't shifted since reaching my last trimester, per the pack doctor's order in fear that it may hurt the baby. It was necessary to shift for our survival, you didn't have any other option.

How the hell did this happen to us? We were all so careful. I tried thinking back to anything, anything at all that may give me a hint as to how we each managed to get captured. How didn't anyone notice that we each went missing at a different point throughout the festival? Who could've gotten close enough to slip black ice into our drinks?

Everything was going great at the Moon Goddess Festival. The decorations were a perfect blend of white and red moon lanterns strung up through the trees of the entire territory along with a mixture of white and red rose centerpieces. It was an all day affair and once evening came the lanterns would light up the night sky and then the ceremony would take place. An offering to the goddess for blessing us with our next Alpha.

Even though there were hundreds of unfamiliar faces here from the neighboring packs, I felt comfort in knowing I was surrounded by family. Some of the Manzanares were here along with members of Marco's, Troy's, and Juan's packs. We were all enjoying ourselves and having the time of our lives when Tristan was summoned to the north end of our territory for some sort of disturbance.

"I'd really rather you came with me, but since you you're not allowed to shift it'll take us too long to get to the northern end." Tristan admitted as he pulled me into his arms and placed a kiss on my forehead. "Stay close to Lonso, I'll be back as soon as I can baby."

"Don't worry about me, what could possibly happen? I'm surrounded by family and friends." I joked holding my arms out to try and alleviate some of the stress in Tristan's eyes. Reluctantly, he finally turned and left with Luke to meet up with Axel and Jett.

Max, Sam, Gabe, and Jordan were cooking on the grills while my both of my dads bonded with Mr. Evans and Troy's father. Mrs. Evans and my mom volunteered to babysit Evie for the day, something along the lines of preparing to become grandparents. Anya, Nicole, and a majority of the other females were working the games booth. Kids were running around to get in line for a few of the small carnival rides Anya rented or to enter the petting zoo.

"Hey, have you tried this lemonade slush yet?" Rosebelle grinned holding her hand out with an extra cup of goodness. "It's freaking amazing. I'll have to ask that guy what company he works for."

I was standing there talking to both Amy and Kelly comparing Luna duties and how much our lives have changed when I gratefully took the cup from Rosebelle. Taking a sip of the cool drink I nodded my head in agreement. "Holy crap, this is really good."

"Really? Where'd you get it from?" Amy asked Rosebelle, who pointed behind us to a booth on the left hand side.

"That't weird, he must have gotten here late. I didn't see that booth there earlier when we first got here." Kelly shrugged as she tugged Amy in that direction. "We'll be right back, we're going to get some."

And that was the last time the four of us were seen together having a normal conversation. The next time I saw the girls is when I opened up my eyes, after feeling like I was bashed over the head with a boulder. We were on the southern end of our territory just below the cliffs that led out onto Muscongus Bay.

It was deserted here underneath the long trail that overlooked the cliffs, where I first saw Tristan shift into a wolf. High tide came in way too angry here, smashing the waves onto rocks and swallowing up the sand. No one would think to look for us down here. This would be the last place anyone would look.

"Rosebelle." I called out quietly, giving her a donkey-like kick in the calf. Our arms were tied up behind our backs and we were bound at our ankles with rope. I was the only one who seemed to be conscious. "Amy, Kelly, wake up!" I whisper yelled as I carefully looked around for anyone else.

Rosebelle let out a groan as though her body ached and I could see that Amy had a trail of blood running down the right side of her face when she turned her head my way. "What the hell happened, why are we tied up?" Kelly screeched in a panic filled voice.

"Calm down, don't panic. Look for something to help untie yourself." I instructed while glancing behind me. The girls began looking around for anything that may help free them. I instantly began rubbing the rope on my arms up and down against a jagged rock protruding from the sand behind me. "Can any of you mindlink anyone? I can't seem to get a hold of anyone through mindlink."

I heard a chorus of no's and that's when I finally figured it out. "Someone must have laced our food or  drinks with black ice."

"Why do you think they did this to us? What do they want?" Kelly asked with tears in her eyes.

"I don't know." I answered honestly as I kept on trying to get free. Finally I managed to cut the rope that tied my hands together, but not before getting rope burn on my wrists and bloodying up my hands. I quickly freed my legs and untied the girls. "Are any of you able to shift?"

The three of them closed their eyes and tried to shift, but to no avail. I, on the other hand was able to. "We have to climb up these rocks to the top of that cliff. It'll take us way too long to go all the way around that way and who knows who we'll run into. Plus high tide is coming and you don't want to be caught down here when that happens." I sighed looking up at the sharp pointy boulders that led up to the cliff. I'd rather take my chances with the rocks than run into the person who put us here in the first place.

It took us a while, but we managed to climb and claw our way up the rocks to the top of the cliff. No easy feat for a pregnant woman, but my survival instinct was kicked into high gear. I was completely exhausted and out of breath as I heaved myself over the edge and lay down on the dirt covered floor.

Amy cried out in pain as she slipped down the rocks and cut her leg open on a jagged edge. Rosebelle and Kelly managed to grab a hold of her and hoisted her up, but the cut looked bad. "Lise, you have to shift and go get help." Rosebelle pleaded as she tended to Amy's cut by ripping and tying a piece of the bottom of Amy's dress around it.

It was then we heard the rabid growls that sounded from below the cliff. Kelly let out a scream as a wolf suddenly appeared over the edge. I immediately shifted and threw myself in front of the girls. Snapping my jaws at the rogue, he charged at me in retaliation and managed to bite me right underneath Tristan's mark. "Run Lise, go get help!" Rosebelle screamed as she and Kelly jumped onto the wolf's back. I spun around and ran as fast as I could along the familiar trail back towards the packhouse.