Chapter 26: Kody

Tristan's POV

Walking into the packhouse, I glanced warily at the kitchen table where I last left Lise a couple of hours ago. You'd never know that anything out of the ordinary occurred here with the way the entire room was scrubbed cleaned. The guys told me my Dad, along with Lise and Troy's fathers were still seeing everyone off. The festival ended on a somber note and they've been performing damage control ever since.

Inside I felt like a complete failure as an Alpha and as a mate. What type of Alpha exhibits weakness when his mate and pack need him the most? The thought of losing Lise and the baby were too much for me to bear, I can't even begin to imagine what Marco felt like when he lost Mia. This situation opened my eyes to what a complete insensitive jerk I've been.

I stepped into the family room area to find my Mom holding a little bundle wrapped up in a baby blue blanket. The look of adoration in her eyes as she hummed a slow tune made me crack a smile. It was a familiar tune and a feeling of nostalgia washed over me as I took another step in her direction. I recognized it as a song she would hum to me when I was a child.

Letting out a deep breath, I prepared myself to take another step forward. I mentally cursed at myself for not even being around to welcome my first born into this crazy world. The little face that was visible out of the side of the blanket showed me that he was sleeping peacefully in my Mother's arms. The guys all surrounded me and patted me on the back for a job well done.

One that I completely did not deserve, I felt like the biggest jerkwad of the century for not being here when Lise needed me the most. The pack doctor must have performed an emergency c-section. Which could only mean that Lise had to shift back to human form. I cringe, not wanting to think of the amount of pain she must have been in, why wasn't I able to feel her pain through our bond?

"Have you decided on a name yet?" My mom asked breaking me out of my thoughts. She held the baby out to me with an expectant look in her eyes. "You should hold him."

I took him into my arms and something new came over me. Just looking at our baby, the product of Lise and I ignited something deep within my soul. I could never picture myself loving someone more than I love my mate, but the love a father has for his child is something completely different. It's unconditional and at that very moment, I made a vow to myself and Lise that I would do everything in my power to be protect my child and to be the best Dad ever.

The baby let out a yawn and when he opened his eyes to look up at me, my entire world seemed that much clearer. He has his mother's hazel eyes and her lips. A small tuft of brown hair peeked out from the top of the blanket. "Hey there Kody, I'm your Daddy." I cooed while his small hand latched onto my index finger.

Looking up at my Mom, I gave her a genuine smile and noticed her wiping away tears from her eyes. "I can't believe my baby is a Father and that I'm a Grandmother." She chuckled, shaking her head unbelievingly. The guys gathered around and took turns passing Kody around. Each one of them introducing themselves as his Uncle. There's one thing I'm absolutely sure of, Kody will grow up to be a great kid with all of these positive influences in his life.

I couldn't tear my eyes away as my hand gripped the side of the door tightly, I could feel the wood slowly splintering beneath my palm. What lay before me was not what I expected to see, nothing could have prepared me for this. When I finally worked up enough nerve and made my way up to our room, my heart was almost beating out of my chest.

Not even the time she fell down the steps and ended up in the hospital after our failed rescue mission to Bemidji came anywhere close to the state Lise was currently in. She lay in a hospital cot off to the side of the room with an IV hooked up to her with several bags attached to the pole. One looked like blood, the other fluids, and the last one seemed like some sort of pain medication. She had a ventilator mask on and the beeping of the machinery had my nerves on edge.

Sat beside her clasping her hand tightly with a morbid expression was Anya. I could hear as Anya mumbled a prayer and jokingly threatened Lise to hurry up and get better. "You have to get better soon. We're supposed to be raising our babies..." Anya paused letting out a strangled sob. "Together."

It was difficult to fight down the lump in my throat and the tightness in my chest. Lise has always been more of a sister to Anya than a best friend. Anya turned her head and met my gaze as I stepped into the room. She stood and rushed over to give me a hug.

"She's stable for now, but the doctor said it's still too early to tell. She lost alot of blood when she was bit and then during the emergency c-section." Anya looked emotionally and mentally drained. "I don't know what I'll do if anything happens to her Tristan." She said shaking her head and biting down on her bottom lip as tears flowed from her eyes.

" Go try and get some rest Anya, thank you, for being there for her." I stated as I hugged her back tightly. "Lise was born a fighter, we'll make it through this." I stated, trying to convince myself to believe in my own words.

Anya nodded in agreement. "I need to go check on Evie, talk to her I'm sure she can still hear you. Let me know if there's any news."

I approached the chair next to Lise's cot, barely hearing the faint click of the door shutting behind Anya. Leaning over, I brushed the hair away from her face before placing a kiss on her forehead. I gently took her hand into mine and prayed to the Moon Goddess to bring Lise back to me.

Three weeks and six days later...I sat in the chair and scratched at the scruff growing along my chin and cheeks. It's been three weeks and Lise still hasn't woken up. My back hurt like a bitch from sleeping slumped over in the chair, but I refused to leave Lise's side at night. It's the only time I get with her, during the day Anya and the girls take turns spending time with Lise.

Kody will be a month old tomorrow. After the first two days, the pack doctor slowly weaned Lise off of her medication induced coma. I don't know why, but I just expected her to open her eyes and wake up. With each passing day, the hope that she'll ever wake up is slowly diminishing.

'Her body has been through significant trauma, Alpha. We need to give her time, she'll wake up when she's ready.' I thought of what the pack doctor said and couldn't help the frustrated sigh that came out. How much longer could I sit here and watch my mate suffer? The only source of nutrition she was receiving is through the IV connected to her arm and the feeding tube that went up her nose and into her stomach.

From what we were told, Lise's healing process is coming along nicely. Her c-section scar as well as the bite on her neck were quickly fading, her blood levels were back up to normal, and there was no damage on any of the brain scans. So why the hell isn't she waking up?

It was difficult for me to get through my days not wanting to leave Lise's side, but Alpha duties called. I was grateful for everyone pitching in to help with Kody. Lonso stayed behind to help watch over Lise, while everyone else flew back to Spain. I left the packhouse only when absolutely necessary to check on things at the Monhegan Moonlight and then travelled to neighboring territories to discuss possible threats and pack business.

"Baby, Kody will be a month old tomorrow. You need to wake up. You've already missed out on so much." I said aloud holding her hand up to my lips, I kissed her fingertips. "I don't know how much longer I can do this for..." My voice broke as I closed my eyes and tried to stay strong. I was slowly falling apart. "I don't know how much longer I can go on without you Lise, please wake up. Kody and I love you and we need you." I finished, leaning over I placed a gentle kiss on her neck where I marked her.

Getting up, I gave Lise one more glance before going to the bathroom to get a shower. As soon as I stepped into the warm shower, Lise opened her eyes.