Chapter 16: Rough Waters

Sitting in the full waiting room, I twisted my wedding ring nervously around my ring finger. Almost every pregnant woman in the room held hands with their significant other, while I sat here alone. Tristan was supposed to come with me to this appointment, but a last minute phone call came through and I decided to leave without him, so that I wouldn't be late.

"Hold on a second." Tristan said into the receiver as he pulled the phone away from his body. "Wait in the car for me Lise, I'll be out in two minutes." He could tell I was getting antsy as I paced around his desk with anticipation. Either that or I was distracting him. His voice did seem a bit annoyed come to think about it. With a slight nod of my head, I walked out of Tristan's study and grabbed my purse and keys.

Two minutes soon turned into fifteen, I honked the horn at least three times. Fed up with waiting, I found myself getting out of the passenger seat and made my way over to the driver's side. Within seconds, I was backing out of the driveway and zooming down the road way past the speed limit.

I knew I was asking for trouble leaving Tristan behind and going out alone, but I didn't have the time nor patience to search around for someone to go with me. Most of the guys were working at Monhegan Moonlight and the rest of them were probably spending quality time with their mates before having to do night patrols. I sure as hell wasn't going to wake Anya up from her afternoon nap to drag her along, hence why I decided I was perfectly fine on my own.

Letting out a disappointed sigh, I rested my elbows on the armrest and mindlessly rubbed at my eyes. If Tristan was too busy to come with me today, he would have at least been honest with me, right? I could have asked my mom to take off from work to come along.

Tristan barely slipped into bed after four this morning only to be gone again a little before seven. I was worried for his well-being, he hasn't been getting much sleep lately. At first I attributed it to the last minute chaos of the grand opening of Monhegan Moonlight, but opening day was a success and business was running smoothly.

Whatever the case may be, it doesn't seem like Tristan plans on telling me what's going on, but I can feel that something isn't right. I know something happened last night after Anya's babyshower, when he called a meeting with all the males of the pack.

If this is a precursor for how things were going to be, I may as well mentally prepare myself for the life of single parenting. I'll have to talk to Mrs. Evans to see if this is what she experienced being mated to an Alpha.

"Annalise Evans?" The nurse called causing my eyes to snap upwards, breaking me out of my thoughts. Giving her a small smile, I stood from my seat and followed her into the exam room.
We went through the usual formalities of pulse, weight, and blood pressure. She asked me a series of questions about my eating habits and whether or not I was experiencing any problems with the pregnancy before stating, "Dr. Jackson will be in shortly."

Walking out to the car with a smile on my face, I felt as though I was floating on cloud nine and nothing could ruin my great mood. Just seeing the baby on the monitor and hearing its heartbeat warmed me thoroughly. That is until a truck pulled up wildly and parked crookedly beside my car, a pissed off looking Tristan hopping out.   

"Two minutes Lise, I asked you to give me two minutes, but you couldn't even give me that." Tristan all but growled at me. "Then you leave without me, by yourself and block me out of your mindlink. Did you not realize that Luke had my truck today and that I had to run all the way to Monhegan Moonlight to get it off him, causing me to miss this appointment completely? Do you understand how worried I've been?"

My heart ached, I get that Tristan was pissed, but in all honesty it wasn't my fault he was taking forever. There was absolutely no chance I was going to arrive late and then have to end up rescheduling my appointment. I've waited entirely too long for this day.

"Actually Tristan, I waited fifteen minutes and honked three times before leaving without you." I admitted trying to take a step around him to get to the car door, but he wasn't having none of that. "I get that you're busy being Alpha and with Monhegan Moonlight, but you promised me you wouldn't miss this for the world. It meant alot to me that you said you'd be here with me today and it was the first time you didn't keep your promise."

A hurt expression plagued Tristan's face, one of disappointment and failure. "I'm sorry baby, I know I messed up. It won't happen again." Tristan sighed holding out his arms waiting for a hug.

Hugging it out wasn't going to make things better right now. I pushed the carefully folded rectangular strips into his hand. Shaking my head, I side stepped around Tristan. A confused look tugged at his eyebrows as Tristan looked down at the images. "Pictures of our son." I whispered before climbing in and shutting the door, leaving Tristan standing alone in the parking lot.

Instead of going straight back to the packhouse, I decided to make a stop. I was tempted to take the ferry over to the lighthouse, just to have some alone time, but settled for pulling into a parking spot instead. Alone time was scarce for me, because I was never truly 'alone'.

Axel was pretty much my shadow making sure that whenever I was without Tristan, he was by my side fulfilling his Protector duties. Don't get me wrong, I loved having a full house, but on days like today I treasured some 'me' time.

Staring out into the water I spotted the ferry making its usual tour around the bay. Absent mindedly I rubbed my hand over my belly, while remembering our first date at the lighthouse which seemed like so long ago. Anya's ringtone played from somewhere inside my bag. Digging it out, I pressed it to my ear.

"Hey." I answered solemnly.

"Where are you? How'd the appointment go?" Anya asked excitedly, not giving me the chance to respond.  "Are we gonna be raising divas together or what?"

"I'm out by the bay, watching the ferry." The sound of a door slamming violently in the background made me wonder what was going on at home. "Lise!" Tristan's voice echoed throughout the background.

"Uh-oh you're being summoned. Geez wonder who got the big bad Alpha's boxers in a bunch..." Anya joked before realizing something. "Wait a second...Lise are you ok? What's going on between you two?"

Not feeling up to explaining everything over the phone, I said. "Are you dressed? I'm coming to pick you up so we can go out for dinner, just the two of us. Meet me outside and Anya...don't tell Luke where we're going."