Four Days Later

“Wow Stevie. You make the best pancakes ever!” Stella exclaimed, strawberry jam all over her face. Stevie giggled and started wiping the jam from the little girl’s face. “Thank you, sweetheart.” She replied. She couldn’t help but marvel at how much all three Buckingham children really did look like Lindsey. Of course there was a bit of Kristen in there, but it was no mistaking who their father was. “Would you like some more?” Stevie asked them. “Yes please!” They all exclaimed. “That’s what I like to see. Good manners.” Lindsey appeared behind his children, who were all sat at Stevie’s breakfast bar, eagerly awaiting more pancakes. “What time are we going?” Will asked. “Your mom is coming to get you in a few hours.” Lindsey replied. The five of them sat silently for a few minutes, the sound of the sizzling pan and the birds outside filling in the space where their chatter should have been. “Why is mom coming to get us? Are you not coming with us?” Will asked.  “No. I’m staying with Stevie for a little but longer but- “ Lindsey was cut off by Will slamming his hands on the worktop in front of him. “When are you gonna tell us?” Will yelled. “Tell you what?” Lindsey asked, taking a sip of Stevie’s coffee. “You know what!” Will replied. “Please tell us, dad.” LeeLee said, clearly having caught on. “Please?” Stella pleaded, not wanting to feel left out. Lindsey sighed and Stevie rubbed his back comfortingly. “Linds…” She whispered, nodding at him encouragingly. “Okay. Kids… Your mom and I are getting a divorce.” “Why?” The two girls exclaimed together. Will froze for a second. “It had nothing to do with you guys and we want you to remember that. Its just… mommy and daddy haven’t been working out for a while.” Lindsey told them. “So why are you here with Stevie?” LeeLee asked. “Well… You all know that Stevie used to be my girlfriend, right?” They all nodded. “Well… I loved Stevie very, very, very much back then. Not as much as I love all of you, but very close. And I was extremely upset when she broke up with me and I never got over that. Basically, I never stopped loving Stevie. But, I did love your mother and I’m forever grateful for her giving me the three of you.” LeeLee and Stella went all doe-eyed. “Is that okay?” Lindsey asked them, knowing they understood where he was going with this. LeeLee looked down at Stella, who gave a cheeky little smile and an excited nod. LeeLee reached across the worktop and held her father’s hand. “Dad, we just want you to be happy. And, to be honest, we always kinda thought you and Stevie were cute.” Stevie and Lindsey laughed. “Thank you LeeLee.” Lindsey said. “Thanks sweet pea.” Stevie said. Lindsey looked at Will, who was just staring at them. “Will, you okay?” Will nodded. He stood up and walked out into the back garden. “I’ll go talk to him.” Lindsey said. “Okay. Come on girls. Let’s go pick out your new bedrooms and you can tell me how you want them decorated.” Lindsey kissed Stevie, enchanting his daughters. “Aw! Daddy and Stevie, sitting in a tree, K-I-S-S-I-N-G!” The two girls sang, running up the stairs. Lindsey chuckled as Stevie followed them. He put his sunglasses on, braced himself and walked out into the garden.

Will was sat by the bright blue pool in Stevie’s back yard, wading his feet through the water. Lindsey stood behind him, waiting for him to say something. After a few minutes and no words from Will, Lindsey slipped his own shoes off, rolled his jeans up and sat beside his son. “You okay, Will?” He asked. Will shrugged. “Are you okay with me being with Stevie?” Will remained silent. “Should I take that as a no?” Lindsey asked, disappointed. “No. I’m happy that you’re happy dad.” Will replied quickly. Lindsey let out a sigh of relief. “What’s wrong then? Is it because I’m divorcing your mom and you think you won’t see me? Because you will.” “Well, obviously I’m upset that you’re divorcing mom. But…” Will trailed off, not sure how to tell his father his thoughts. “But what?” Lindsey prodded. “I’ve known about you and Stevie for years. Even when I was really little, I understood the look in your eyes ever time she came near you.” Lindsey was astonished but kept quiet and composed as his son continued. “You looked at mom like that too, but not quite as strongly. And then, 3 years ago, the light went out of your eyes completely when you looked at mom. But when you were on stage with Stevie... the light was blinding.” Lindsey smiled, admiring how poetic his young son was being. “What're you saying then, Will?” He asked. Will finally looked up at his father. “Why didn’t you save yourself the heart ache and just go to Stevie then? Why did you keep going back to mom when you really wanted to be with Stevie?” Lindsey sighed. “Because… Stevie told me to go back to your mom.” Will looked surprised. “Why?” He asked. “Because she didn’t want to take me away from you and your sisters.” Will shook his head. “She really is insane, dad. You sure you want to stick with her?” Lindsey laughed, putting an arm around his son. “I’m pretty sure. You think if I didn’t I’d still be around her, over 40 years after we first met?” “I suppose not.” Will mused. “How are we doing out here?” The two Buckingham men turned around, both smiling up at Stevie, who was walking towards them, sunglasses clad like Lindsey. “I think we’re good.” Lindsey said, standing up. Will stood up too and Stevie put her hands on his shoulders. “Listen, little Buck. I will never replace your mom and I will never try. But I love you and your sisters like you're my own children. And I need you to know and to trust me when I say that I love your dad too, with all of my heart and soul. And that taking him away from your mom was a hard thing to do. But love makes you do crazy things and someday you’ll find that out for yourself.” Will nodded, looking down at the ground. Stevie tilted his head up so she could look him in the eyes. “Are we cool?” She asked. Will smiled. “Yea, we’re cool.” Stevie smiled and wrapped her arms around him. “You’re a wonderful young man, William. And you will grow up to be a good man, just like your dad.” “Thanks Stevie.” Will replied, his smile now turning into a grin. “There’s that famous Buckingham smile I love to see! Now, why don’t you go ahead and choose the room you want to be yours?” “Okay! Thanks Stevie!” Stevie and Lindsey watched him run back into the house, his troubles now put to rest. “You would have been a wonderful mother, Steph. You know that?” Lindsey said, putting his arm around her shoulders. “Maybe this is my chance to prove that.” She replied, smiling up at him. Lindsey kissed her forehead lovingly. “I love you, Stevie Nicks.” He whispered. “And I love you too, Lindsey Buckingham.” She replied. “Forever?” “Forever.”