Midnight - 26th May 2009

Lindsey crept down the hall and knocked on the door softly. He heard movement behind the heavy oak door, the sound of footsteps getting closer and closer. The door opened eventually; Stevie's eyes narrowed in wearily on Lindsey's face from behind her glasses. “Lindsey? It’s midnight. What’re you doing here?” She hissed. Lindsey grinned and held up the large pink paper bag in his hand. “Happy Birthday, Stevie.” He whispered. Stevie sighed; smiling, she let him into her hotel room.

They sat together on Stevie’s grand hotel room bed. Stevie sat crossed legged opposite Lindsey; she had no makeup on and was wearing her favourite pale pink silk pyjamas. The shirt cut low at the front, unintentionally revealing more of Stevie’s assets than Lindsey should have been allowed to see. Not that he was complaining. Nor was he going to mention it to Stevie. He’d seen it all many times before, so what was the problem? She still had her glasses on, which looked like they’d travelled directly from the 1980s, but Stevie liked them. That’s all that mattered, Lindsey supposed. “Here you go. There’s one from each of the kids and one from me.” Lindsey said, handing Stevie the bag. She smiled and pulled the four presents out. She opened them one by one: from Will, a book on all things mystical and supernatural – “Your son knows me almost as well as you do!” Stevie mused. – From LeeLee, a candle that smelt of roses. – “Pink; my favourite colour!” Stevie said, noting the colour of the wax. – And from Stella, a handmade bracelet. Stevie smiled, touching the different beads of the bracelet, six of which had the letters on them to spell out ‘Stevie’. “Oh Lindsey, they’re so beautiful. You’ll have to tell the children I say thank you.” Lindsey smiled. “I will. Now, time for my present.” Lindsey picked up the last gift and held it out for Stevie to open. Smiling, Stevie carefully unwrapped the present, gasping when she saw what was inside. The beautiful chiffon shawl was an exact replica of a shawl Stevie had owned in the 70s, which Lindsey had destroyed during one of their more physical fights. It was exactly like she remembered, only brand new and unscarred by memories. “Oh Linds… Thank you.” Stevie said, tears running down her face as she picked the shawl up out of the wrapping paper. Standing up, she put the shawl around her and twirled around, as if she were on stage. Lindsey chuckled, amused, as she continued to twirl and dance around as if she were alone. “I’m glad you like it.” Lindsey said when Stevie eventually stopped dancing and re-joined him on the bed. “I love it.” Stevie told him, stroking the shawl on her lap. “Good.” Lindsey replied. They sat and chatted for a while and before they knew it, time had flown by and it was almost 3AM. Lindsey yawned and stretched. “I’d better be going back to my room then.” He said, getting up from the bed. “Do you have to?” Stevie asked, not wanted to spend one second of her birthday alone. “Well… I don’t have to. It’s not like there’s anyone waiting for me.” Stevie smiled and patted the space next to her. Lindsey moved the covers out of the way and sat beside her, a cheeky glimmer in his eyes. “We’re sleeping, okay? Like, actually sleeping.” Stevie said, pulling the covers over them. "Okay. I, like, get it." Lindsey replied, mimicking Stevie. She swatted out at him, her long red nails just missing the tip of his nose. Lindsey grabbed Stevie's hand and kiss it; he didn't to upset Stevie on her birthday. Kissing her hand was just the natural thing for Lindsey to do to tell Stevie he was sorry. Stevie smiled. "You're forgiven." She said, knowing all to well what the kiss on her hand meant. They both rolled over and turned the bedside lights out. Lindsey wrapped his arms around Stevie and they fell asleep peacefully, wrapped in each other’s arms.