A Few Hours Later

“Stevie, you have a visitor.” Stevie looked up at the door, her eyes wide. Lindsey stood with Dave in the doorway, holding a suitcase and a guitar case. “She heard us.” Lindsey said quietly. Dave left the room as Stevie stood up abruptly, almost falling off her seat. “It’s over. She’s filing for divorce.” Stevie rushed over to Lindsey and threw her arms around him. “I’m so sorry, Lindsey.” She whispered. “What is there to be sorry for?” Lindsey asked. Stevie looked up at his face and saw that he was crying. “Happy tears.” He said out of the blue. “Huh?” “I’m crying happy tears, Steph.” But… Why?” Dropping his cases, Lindsey wrapped hi arms around her waist and twirled her around. He kissed her hard and passionately. “Because now we can be together, just like we were always meant to be. It’ll be me, you and the three little Bucks.” For a second, Stevie forgot about the situation she had so suddenly found herself in. She forgot about angry Karen. She forgot about heartbroken Kristen. She even forgot about her own morals and the promises she had made silently to herself for the past 14 years as she had watched Lindsey play with each of his children as they entered his - their - lives. In that moment, all she saw was Lindsey, standing right there in front of her. He looked so happy; happier than she had seen him in years. And she could just imagine the new life she would now be getting, the life her parents had always wanted for her. Her life spent with Lindsey by her side always, which the pitter-patter of little feet always around the corner. Stevie kissed Lindsey again, putting all of her love into this kiss and forgetting the people she would hurt with her actions. Because she deserved to be happy too, didn’t she?