The Next Morning

Stevie smiled to herself as she ran her fingers through the tight grey curls on Lindsey’s head. It was 10AM and he was still asleep. Stevie had been awake for about half an hour and all she’d done was watch him sleeping soundly. With her other hand, she scratched the masculine arm that lay across her chest, feeling it’s warmth on her skin. She thought that, from someone else’s perspective, it would look like a scene from the 60s version of Romeo and Juliet. Only Romeo and Juliet hadn’t died and they’d grown old together. Stevie watched as Lindsey began to stir. He still woke up the way he always did after a session of passionate lovemaking; his nose twitched, which irritated him, causing his eyes to open so he could see what was annoying him. On cue, his nose twitched, followed by the flutter of opening eyes. His eyes flitted from side to side, trying to figure out where he was. They flashed up to Stevie’s face, and he smiled. “Hi.” He whispered. “Good morning.” Stevie replied, smiling. Lindsey took in his surroundings: the room, the sunlight seeping in, his arm on Stevie’s chest and eventually, Stevie herself. “So… It finally happened.” Lindsey said rolling over onto his back. “Yes it did.” Stevie replied, covering herself with the bed sheet. Putting his arms behind his head and turning to look at her, Lindsey asked, “Do you regret it?” Stevie put her arm over his stomach and her head on his chest. She sighed. “Unfortunately, no. I don’t.” Lindsey chuckled. “You’re a bad girl, Stevie.” “I thought you liked the bad girls, Linds.” “Oh, I do.” Stevie laughed and kissed Lindsey’s chest before getting out of bed. “What time is Dave coming?” Lindsey asked, watching Stevie wrap her robe around her. “Erm, 11. So we need to get a move on.” Stevie replied, looking at the clock on her nightstand.

I am a soldier's angel

Four years later

In a war of words between worlds

Mmm.”

Stevie smiled to herself as she watched Lindsey harmonise with her pre-recorded vocals. It still amazed her, even after 40 years, how easy Lindsey still found it to slip back into harmony with her. ‘In more ways than one.’ Stevie thought, a grin creeping across her lips. Just as Lindsey was finishing up his vocals, Karen walked into the room from the kitchen. “Did you use the back door?” Dave asked her, smiling as she handed him a coffee. “Yea. I heard the music, so I assumed you were recording. I didn’t want to disturb you.” Karen replied. “Good choice.” Stevie muttered. Karen looked at her sadly. “Here you go. I got you and Lindsey some coffee.” Stevie took the coffee from her. “Thank you, Karen.” She replied coldly before walking out of the room to Lindsey. “Is she still mad at you?” Dave asked, blowing on his coffee to cool it. Karen nodded sadly, watching Stevie and Lindsey. “I’m sure she just feels like you don’t trust her.” Dave said, sipping his coffee and burning his tongue in the process. Karen studied Stevie and Lindsey’s body language from her seat next to Dave. She took in everything; their hushed tone, how close their heads were together and ever gently caress of each other’s arms. “And with good reason.” Karen said cryptically. Dave looked over at Stevie and Lindsey, taking in what Karen had just seen. “Something happened, didn’t it?” Dave asked, catching on. Karen nodded, taking a sip of her coffee. “Christ…” Dave muttered, walking into the kitchen.

Stevie and Lindsey sat in the corner of the room, the two of them giggling like naughty school children. Karen rolled her eyes in disgust, and continued to type on her laptop. Stevie noticed the silent statement of Karen’s disapproval and her eyes started blazing. Lindsey, knowing Stevie better than anyone else, saw the warning signs and grabbed her hands. She looked at him, her eyes wide. “Don’t you dare?” He mouthed. Stevie scowled, hating to be told what to do; or what not to do, as the case may be. “Alright, shall we begin recording the next song?” Dave asked, sensing the tension in the room. “I’d like that.” Stevie said, standing up. “Mind if I stick around? That is, if it’s alright with everyone.” Lindsey said, glancing at Karen. “Doesn’t bother me. I’m just leaving.” Karen responded coldly. Lindsey and Dave looked at each other and then reluctantly at Stevie. They both knew neither of them could stop what was about to happen. Lindsey stepped back as Stevie burst. “What is your fucking problem?” Stevie demanded, glad that there weren’t any cameras around to film her outburst. “What do you mean?” Karen asked innocently. “Oh, you know what I mean. Christ, Karen, don’t be so sly about it! Just come out and say it. I’d rather you be a bitch in the open than behind my back.” Karen sighed, finally looking at Stevie’s outraged face. “Fine. You wanna know what I think?” “It would be extremely helpful if you let me know what is going through that head of yours!” Stevie replied, putting her hands on her hips. “Fine. I think you continuously falling back into bed with Lindsey is a big, fat fucking mistake.” Stevie held her ground, not daring to let any emotion seep through. Lindsey and Dave watched helplessly from the other side of the room. “Really?” “Yes, really. Stevie, I love you, you know I do. You aren’t just my boss; you’re my friend. And we’ve been friends for 20 years. And I have stood back while you have let this man who you say you’re so in love with play with you. You’re the one who wrote ‘players only love you when they’re playing’ for fuck’s sake!” Stevie began to waver, the anger shield beginning to falter. “I can tell that you love him. You love him with your whole being: mind, body, soul and heart. But I question, every time, if he loves you that much.” It was Lindsey’s turn to speak. “What makes you think I don’t love her?” He asked. Karen laughed. “Please… Lindsey, spare me.” “No. I want to hear it, Karen. What makes me a player?” Karen sighed. “You never follow through. You mess around with Stevie for a little while and then go back to your family, leaving Stevie heartbroken.” Lindsey held up his hands. “Woah. I never wanted to go back to Kristen. Any of those times.” “Well why did you then?” Karen asked. “Because I told him he had to.” Stevie said. Karen looked back at her. “You didn’t think of that bit, did you Karen?” Karen remained silent. “Exactly.” Stevie muttered. “What is it you want from me, Karen?” Lindsey asked. Karen gathered her things before turning back to him. “I want you to do right by everyone. By Stevie, by Kristen and by your children.” Karen walked past them. “I’m taking a few weeks off!” She yelled as she walked out of the front door, slamming it behind her.