2 Weeks Later

Well, my heart still stops

When I stand before you

And my heart still breaks

When you take my hand.”

Dave nodded his head as Stevie’s voice blasted through the speakers. It had been two weeks since the outburst between Karen and Stevie and things had gone back to normal. Lindsey had spent two more days with them, before Stevie told him to go back to his wife and that she needed to think things over. A week later, she produced a song – My Heart – to him. “It’s about Lindsey.” She’d said. Reading the lyrics, Dave nodded in agreement; he could tell.

And my eyes still close

When someone speaks your name

And you understand

It's all the same.”

As the song came to an end, Dave turned the recording equipment off and Stevie joined him in the mixing room again. “How was that?” Stevie asked, taking a coffee from another of her assistants and sitting beside him. “It was great! As always.” He replied. As he got ready to play it back to her, Dave watched Stevie from the corner of his eye. She looked happy enough, but the twinkle in her eye had gone. “Guys, can you give us a minute.” Dave asked the cameramen and assistants, who all left the room. Stevie frowned. “What’s wrong?” She asked, taking a sip of her coffee. “You’re not happy.” Dave replied. Stevie chortled, her laugh like a bark. “Of course I’m happy!” Dave shook his head. “The light in your eyes has gone. You’re enjoying yourself because you’re making music, but you miss the presence of Karen here. And Lindsey.” Stevie’s smile disappeared. She looked back up at Dave sadly. “Do you think I’m an awful person, carrying on with Lindsey the way I do?” Dave shook his head. “No. I just think you’re still desperately in love with a man you’ve known for over 40 years.” “So, you don’t agree with Karen?” Dave sighed. “Well…” Stevie frowned again. “I don’t disagree… but I do at the same time. I just think you guys  – you and Lindsey – need to think about the other people involved. There are three little people most importantly. And Kristen loves Lindsey too. She is his wife.” “I should have been his wife.” Stevie shot back fiercely. Dave sat back. “So why aren’t you?” He asked bluntly. Stevie sighed. “Because I was young and stupid and didn’t know what I had until he was wrapped in the arms of Carol Ann Fucking Harris.” Dave chuckled. He rested his hand on her knee. “Have you spoken to either Karen or Lindsey since they left?” Stevie shook her head. “Well that’s what you’re going to do now then. I’m off for some food. See you in an hour.” Stevie watched helplessly as Dave waved goodbye from the front door and left her alone.

“Hello?” Karen’s voice rang in Stevie’s ears; it felt so good to hear her speak again in a tone that wasn’t angry. “Karen?” Stevie asked unsurely. “Hi Stevie.” Karen replied, her voice dropping into a tone of annoyance. “I was calling to see how you are.” “I’m fine, Stevie. And yourself?” “Good. I’m good... I’d be better if you were here.” “Well I’m on a mini vacation.” “Lindsey isn’t here anymore.” “That’s not why I’m not working.” “Why is it then?” “I’m not working because of you.” Stevie was shocked; she was used to Karen being honest, but not this honest. “Karen, please…” “Don’t ‘Karen please’ me, Stevie Nicks. You know what you’ve done.” “Yes, I know, but…” “I’ll come back to work when you tell me that either Lindsey is going to keep his hands to himself or that he’s finally grown a pair and filed for divorce.” The dial tone rang; Karen had hung up.

“Hello?” Kristen answered the phone and Stevie’s palms began to sweat. “Oh, hi Kit.” “Hi Stevie! What can I do for you?” “Hi, is Lindsey at home?” “He is. He’s in the studio. I’ll put you through.” “Thanks Kit.” “Sure thing.” The line went quiet for a few minutes. Then… “Hello?” Stevie’s heart skipped a beat when she heard the familiar greeting of her long time love. “Hi Linds.” “Hey Steph.” Lindsey replied; Stevie could hear the smile in his voice. The thought of Lindsey’s wonderful smile made her melt. “How are you?” Lindsey asked. “I’m fine. How ‘bout you?” “I’m good. How are things with Karen?” “That’s what I was calling for.” “Oh boy…” “Yup.” Stevie proceeded to tell Lindsey about her previous call to Karen. When she’d finished, she could hear Lindsey sigh. “So… What do we do?” He asked at last. Stevie was baffled. “Wha- what do we do? You have to stay with Kit! You have three children, for Christ’s sake!” Lindsey sighed again, angrily this time. “Stevie, we are not going down this road again. I love you and I will not stay away from you any longer.” “But Lindsey…” “No! I won’t do it. I won’t!” “But what about the kids?” “Stevie, they love you. I’m sure they wouldn’t mind having you for a step-mom.” “And you know I wouldn’t mind having them as step-children but that’s beside the point. You are married. She still loves you.” “And I her. But it’s not like I love you. I love her for giving me my three bundles of joy. But I love you… Like I love my guitar.” Stevie snorted. “I’ve been compared to a lots of things before, but never a guitar. Thanks Linds.” “No. You know how much I love my guitar, the one my dad gave me the last time I saw him, before he died.” “I do.” “I love you more than that guitar.” Stevie thought it through; Lindsey did love that guitar an awful lot. When someone had offered him big bucks for it when they were flat broke, he still said no. It had infuriated Stevie at the time, but Lindsey made up for it when they got home. Stevie decided what he was saying was legit and she took it as a compliment. “Thanks Linds. I’ll take the guitar comparison.” “It was meant as a compliment, y’know Steph.” “I know. If I didn’t, I would have hung up on you.” Lindsey laughed and Stevie smiled. “I really do love you Stevie, no matter what Karen says.” “I know you do. And what she said, about me loving you with all of me, you know that’s true, don’t you?” “I do. You told me so yourself once upon a time.” “So I did.” They both chuckled and sat quietly for a few seconds. “What do we do then, Lindsey?” Stevie asked at last. Lindsey sighed. “I think we both know it’s time for me to stop listening to you and start listening to me.” Stevie sighed in dismay. “But the kids, Linds…” “Are gonna be fine. Look, it’s not like we’re flat broke or anything. The kids can still go to school. Kit can keep this house so the kids will have somewhere nice and familiar to go when they’re with her…” “Does that mean you’re moving in here?” “If you'll have me.” “Lindsey, you know I don’t really live here. I mean, it is my house, but I live in an apartment three minutes away.” “I know. We slept there when I was visiting, remember?” “Well… We didn’t exactly sleep.” Lindsey chuckled. “No, we didn’t.” They laughed, Stevie’s laugh dirtier than ever. “John was right; you really do have a dirty laugh.” “Shut up Linds.” “Okay, okay. So… it’s settled?” Stevie sighed. “Do what you want to do. Whatever you choose, I will always be a part of your life, whether you like it or not.” They laughed, said their goodbyes and hung up.

As Lindsey went back to work, the door to the studio crept open. “I’m working…” Lindsey looked over his shoulder. Kristen stood in the doorway, her face blotchy and red. “Kit… What’s wrong?” “I heard everything.” She replied quietly. “What?” Lindsey asked, his heart pounding. “IHeardEverything.” Lindsey stood up, and walked slowly towards his wife. “Kit, please. Just let me exp- ” Kristen pushed him so hard that he fell back onto the nearby couch, screaming at him. “Don’t you dare touch me! Don’t you fucking dare!” Lindsey looked down at the floor, focusing in on his hands. He fiddled with the thing that was causing all the fuss; his wedding band. He was trying to look just about anywhere but the angry face of his wife. Kristen stood in front of him, casting a gloomy shadow over him, encasing his hunched frame into darkness. Lindsey could hear their three children – Will, LeeLee and Stella – playing together outside. The sound of their carefree joy ripped Lindsey’s heart to shreds now that he had done what he had done. But it wasn’t his fault, not really. After all, it was in the name of love. “Lindsey Buckingham, are you even listening to me?” Kristen screeched, sounding more and more like a deranged maniac rather than his cooler than cool wife. But this time, she had the right to be a maniac: she had just found out that her husband was having an affair. Again. With the same woman. But she wasn’t just any woman. “Yes, Kit.” Lindsey replied quietly. Kristen scoffed. “The one time you actually listen to me! In this of all conversations! Well, it took a hell of a lot to make you listen to me, Lindsey. But here we are!” Lindsey kept his eyes glued to the floor. “Lindsey Buckingham, look at me God damn it!” Kristen screamed. Lindsey looked up in shock. Kristen sighed, covering her tired face with her hands. “Kit…” Lindsey began. “No. No, don’t you ‘Kit’ me.” “Kristen, please?” Lindsey stood up and started walking towards his wife. “No! No, Lindsey! No, okay? This is the final straw! I’m done! It’s over!” Lindsey sat still, looking at her in shock. “Kristen…” “No! I won’t do this anymore, Lindsey. I love you, but the absolute fear that you’ll run off with Stevie is too much. And now you’ve actually gone and done it. So, congrats. You’ve got what you wanted. You’ve got your true love. Happy?” Kristen stormed out of the room. “Your suitcases are on the bed. Go pack them. Then get out.” She snarled as she left the studio, leaving Lindsey dazed and speechless.