A Few Hours Later

Stevie walked across the room towards the door, racing to answer the knocking. Opening the door, she came face to face with Kristen. “Oh. Kit, hi.” Kristen smiled a somewhat fake smile, and said through gritted teeth, “Hey Stevie. How’s the room?” “Oh it’s fabulous. I love it. It’s like you thought of me when you were designing it.” “Oh I didn’t design this.” Stevie frowned. “Well who did?” “Lindsey and the girls. And Will helped paint it and put the furniture together. They’ve been working on it for weeks on the off chance that you’d agree to come to work with Lindsey.” Stevie smiled unconsciously, making Kristen’s eyes narrow. “Well that was sweet of them. I’ll have to thank them. And thank you Kit.” “Me? Whatever for?” Kristen asked, over enthusiastically. “For being okay with me coming here. Y’know, after everything that’s happened. But I assure you, I’ll not lay a finger on your husband.” “Well, that’s so good of you.” Kristen replied, again through gritted teeth. The two women stood there in awkward silence for a few seconds, neither knowing what to say. “Is there something you wanted?” Stevie asked at last, wanted to get back to her journal. Kristen smiled. “I can’t find Lindsey. I just wanted to see if he was here.” Stevie watched Kristen walk away in stunned silence. She had been there less than 24 hours and Kristen was already snooping. This was going to be a fun week.

The Next Morning

Stevie made her way down to the kitchen, wearing her usual uniform of black. Her long blonde hair was pulled up into a topknot and she wore no makeup, her glasses being the only thing that covered her eyes. ‘What’s the point?’ She thought, ‘It’s only Lindsey. And he’s seen me barer than this anyway.’ Whilst in her own little world, she almost didn’t notice Will and LeeLee sitting in the kitchen. “Oh. Hello darlings.” She greeted them. “Good morning, Stevie.” The two children greeted her. “Where is everyone?” Stevie asked, sitting at the table with them. “Mom went to work early and she took Stella to her friend’s house. Karen got a ride with them, said to tell you that she’s going to a meeting.” LeeLee replied. Stevie nodded, taking a sip of the coffee Will had poured for her. “Dad’s outside, if you’re wondering.” Will added on. Stevie smiled. “Thank you. So, what’re you two doing today?” “I’m going to play soccer with some friends and LeeLee is going to her dance class.” Will told her. Stevie nodded and smiled as they told her all about their hobbies. She was amazed that Lindsey had created two perfect little bundles. And somewhere in L.A., playing with her friend, there was a third perfect bundle. Three miniatures of Lindsey; oh how Stevie wished they were hers too. She said goodbye to LeeLee and asked Will to take her to Lindsey.

Stevie and Will walked out into the sunny back yard; nobody needed to know Kristen’s profession to know that an interior designer lived here. The garden was full of colourful plants, arching wooden shelters with vines winding around them, and a huge pool in the centre of the large garden. It was gorgeous and Stevie was instantly jealous. “I think I need to get your mom to come do my garden up.” Stevie said jokingly, to which Will laughed politely. “He’s in there.” Will said, pointing to a building at the bottom of the garden. “Thank you Will.” Stevie said, ruffling his hair before watching him run back up to the house. Taking a deep breath she closed the distance between the studio and her. She knocked on the door and waited for a few seconds, giggling as she listened to the crashing of instruments. Lindsey eventually opened the door; his grey curls were an out of control mess, and he wore his own uniform of a white V-neck and jeans. “Steph, hi.” He said breathlessly and surprised, as if he’d not been expecting her. Stevie chuckled, looking past him. She shook her head at the chaos of instruments and lyrics sheets that were scattered everywhere. “I can tell you don’t let Kit or the maid in here.” Stevie said. Lindsey looked down and laughed. He waved into the room. “Won’t you come in?” He asked. Stevie smiled and walked past him. “I can’t work in this, Linds. We gotta tidy up first.” “There’s the cleaning lady in you coming out.” Stevie shook her head. “No. There’s the part of me that likes to care for others coming out. And a little cleaning lady.” They laughed and started to tidy the studio.

8 Hours Later

Stevie and Lindsey walked back towards the house, with Karen in tow behind them, laughing at each other. They had been telling Karen stories all day, in between the tweaking of songs. Their stories had made them laugh, cry and truly thankful that they were still in each other’s lives. Karen had sat by for 5 hours, watching and listening as the woman she called her best friend fell for the love of her life all over again. And she promised herself she would do anything she could to make sure that before they left the Buckingham home at the end of the week, Stevie and Lindsey would be together again. And this time, it would be forever.

They walked into the kitchen, not noticing at first that Kristen was stood nearby, in front of the stove. “How’s the music doing?” She asked, overly chipper. Stevie exchanged glances with Karen, who shrugged. Lindsey rushed over to his wife, not wanting her to feel suspicious of something that hadn’t happened. Though, in the back of his mind, he felt she was being the suspicious one. “Hello Kit.” He greeted her. She smiled and pursed her lips, ready for him to kiss her. Lindsey shied away, pecking her cheek instead. Rejection washed over Kristen like a tidal wave, but she carried on cooking. Stevie and Karen looked at each other once again, shock in their eyes. “Did that have something to do with me?” Stevie mouthed. “I think so.” Karen mouthed back. When Lindsey looked back at them, they both quickly grinned at him. “We’ll just go sit down then.” Stevie said, rushing out of the room. “I’ll go set the table.” Lindsey said quickly, grabbing cutlery from a nearby drawer and following Stevie into the dining room. “I’ll just – “ “Karen, wait.” Kristen, who stepped in her path, cut her off. “Did you forget our agreement?” Kristen whispered. Karen frowned. “No, I haven’t.” “Good. Cos if they’re left alone, something will happen. And I’m not about to loose my husband to that bitch.” Karen squared up to her. “Listen, Kit.’, Karen said, spitting Kristen’s name at her, ‘That bitch is my best friend. We do this my way, or I’ll ask them to shag myself.” Karen stormed out of the kitchen, leaving Kristen speechless and furious.

As Karen watched Stevie interacting with Lindsey and his children at the dinner table, thankful that Kristen had excused herself completely – for ‘work related matters’, supposedly – she couldn’t help but feel guilty about her conversation with Kristen that morning.

Earlier That Day - 7:30AM

Karen rushed around, trying to be quiet. It was early and she needed to get ready for her business meeting in an hour. Gathering her laptop and Blackberry, she made her way downstairs. She gasped in shock when she rounded the corner into the kitchen. “I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to startle you.” Kristen said from the kitchen table. Karen composed herself. “It’s fine. No harm done.” She replied. She walked over to the coffee machine. “May I?” Kristen nodded, watching her silently. Karen got her coffee and hovered by the coffee machine, sipping the hot liquid. “Come sit at the table.” Kristen said at last. Although she didn’t really wanting to be anywhere near Kristen, Karen walked over and sat down. After a few minutes, Kristen leaned over the table. “I have a favour to ask.” She said. Karen looked up. “What’s that?” “There’s a possibility I may be leaving for a few days. While I’m away, I want to you to keep a close eye on Lindsey and Stevie. Stick to them like glue.” Karen frowned. “Why?” “Because I’ll be damned if they start fooling around again, especially in my home, in my bed.” Karen snorted. “Please. If anything was gonna happen, they wouldn’t need a bed to do it in.” Kristen sighed. “Please Karen. I won’t loose him again.” Karen looked at the pleading Kristen. “Fine.” She said at last. Kristen’s expression changed in a matter of seconds, a grin appearing on her face. “Great! I’ve also set up security cameras around the house, just in case you need to go out. There’s a portable monitor under your bed; take that with you and you can call me if anything happens.” Karen watched in disbelief as Kristen, who had only minutes ago been sombre and silent, practically skipped across the kitchen. “I’ll see you later! Thanks Karen!” Karen waved weakly, not sure what had just happened.

Present Moment

As they finished dinner, Kristen appeared in the dining room doorway. “I have to go away for a few days.” She announced, not to Karen’s surprise, but to everyone else’s. “What?” Lindsey asked, taken by surprise. “The office in New York just called me; there’s a problem with some shipping orders. I have to go out there to sign off on them.” Kristen replied. Will, LeeLee and Stella all ran up to their mother, begging her to stay. “I’m sorry, honeys. I have to go. Daddy’s still here… and so is Aunt Stevie.” Stevie’s eyes widened as Kristen said her name through gritted teeth, her tone full of resentment. As she watched from the dining table as Lindsey and the children waved goodbye to Kristen, Stevie knew that the events of the next few days weren’t going to go according to plan.