Chapter 58

"Today's fights have been canceled."

The Arena slaves looked questioningly at one another.

"Emperor Kildea has decreed that every slave and citizen of Moldov is to watch today's executions." Usually, the Arena slaves would be confined to their cells with heavier guard than usual.

"They never make us watch," the slave closest to Tobias said. He turned to the Ranger. "You know what this means?"

"I'm hoping it's not what I suspect."

"The only reason they would make us watch is if they found Vashti."

~~~

Randel never realized there were so many slaves in Moldov. There had to be more slaves than free citizens. He and Vesta were Kildea, Silas, and Nikolai's special guests. It sickened him and he knew it sickened Silas. He glanced at Rhiannon, whose head was bowed and he could see the sorrow on her face. Randel knew she'd tried to warn them; he'd followed her the last night she met with Hathel. And only he knew where Silas' true loyalties lay.

"There they are."

Randel looked and saw Astaldo, Reilen, and Denae being led to their execution. His eyes lingered on the elf. Her hip-length brown hair was tied back with a rope. Obviously, her captors wanted everyone to see what she really was. He noticed there was no fear in her eyes. I really hope you have a plan.

~~~

Jelina, Ainnileas, and Reilen were led onto the platform. The usual crowd was gathered but Jelina noticed this crowd was larger than usual. Which meant either there had been rumors about her true identity or Kildea had decreed that all watch the deaths of the traitor and murderers. Kildea had threatened to execute his daughters for treason as well, thus Reilen confessed to the crime. As far as he knew, they were clueless about his activities. Vesta still insisted that she was her escaped slave although Nikolai's confusion at not seeing her tattoos and scars was priceless. He still wasn't convinced of her true identity. They had positioned her between the men. Reilen searched the crowd until he found his daughters. He'd sworn on everything holy and sacred that Wen and Acale knew nothing of his part in the rebellion. Only Jelina knew it to be a lie, even if Reilen didn't. Of all people, Kildea had chosen Gavius to read off their crimes. She scanned the crowd and saw Tobias and the other Arena slaves at the back of the crowd.

As his voice carried over the crowd as if he were announcing the next Arena battle, Jelina spoke. "Reilen, how is your skill with a blade?"

"That's a funny question to ask now."

"Answer the bloody question. Can you fight?"

"Normally, yes. I am trained in swordsmanship. There isn't a nobleman who isn't. Although with these on, not likely. Why?"

"Because your rebellion starts today."

"Do you know something I don't?"

"I know plenty you don't but I need you to trust me."

Reilen sighed. "I haven't much choice."

Jelina gave him that knowing smile.

"I'm starting to not like that smile," Ainnileas said. "What in Elohim's name are you planning?"