Chapter 54

Reilen's heart dropped when he saw them shove Denae into the cart. She surprised him when she flipped off the closed door.

"My daughters?" He was afraid to ask. Afraid that they had them and were doing terrible things to them.

"They're safe. I can guarantee they will never find your daughters unless they reveal themselves."

Reilen gave a breath of relief. "Thank Elohim," he breathed.

But something about Denae had changed. The young noblewoman seemed older and more warrior-like as she examined the shackles around her wrists. Astaldo shook his head at her.

"I don't think staring at them like that will unlock them."

Astaldo gave an amused laugh. Denae bit her lip as if she were trying not to laugh. Reilen didn't know what he'd said to amuse them so.

"They might," Astaldo said.

"Shut up."

The bodyguard gave her a look.

"It's a sad time in Moldov when the Emperor turns on his own people because of a mistrust of newcomers." Reilen leaned forward and put his face in his hands. He felt hopeless. He sighed. "Nikolai is a dangerous man. What he says, the Emperor believes. He's perhaps the best tracker in Moldov but he can't shake the fact he can't track down a little elven girl. Jelina must have a natural woodcraft and knows how to keep hidden."

"Maybe she should join the Rangers," Denae said.

"Wouldn't surprise me if she did." He paused. "That would actually explain why Nikolai can't track her down. No one can match them in woodcraft."

"Then how do you explain Tobias?" Astaldo asked, which earned him a dirty look from Denae.

"The story I heard was he had been wounded by a poisoned blade. I think that would be the only way the slavers could catch a Ranger."

Astaldo's eyes darted over towards Denae.

She went back to examining the shackles. "You know what they'll do," she said quietly. She looked up at Reilen, who nodded. "Think of your daughters. Use your love for them to give you strength."

Reilen realized then that Denae was more than just a noblewoman and wondered exactly who she had been in Thera.

~~~

Jelina, Reilen, and Ainnileas were led to the throne room of the Palace. Jelina had never set foot in it once. Of course, the only slaves that did were going to their deaths. She automatically glanced around for the best route of escape. Fear gripped her heart again when she saw Vesta standing by the throne, her son, Randel, leaning against a pillar looking like he wished to be elsewhere.

"We caught two of the spies in our net but Reilen's daughters seemed to have escaped," Nikolai announced. All three of them were forced to their knees.

"Reilen was truly the only one I wanted. I could care less for his daughters," Kildea said as he looked down at them. "Who sent you, Aleerians? King Liam? Commander Dante? Speak now and I may spare you agony."

"I don't know what you're talking about," Jelina answered.

"We know the two of you are not from Thera. Who are you and why were you sent?"

"We are not spies!"

Suddenly, Vesta strode over and grabbed her hair. She pulled it back, revealing her long delicate ears.

Not good. she thought. She glanced at the others. Ainnileas' eyes echoed her thoughts. Reilen's were saucers and he had a shocked look on his face. He'd never suspected.

"I knew it!" Vesta cried. Randel was paying attention now. He was gaping. "I knew it, you lying wench!" Still grasping Jelina's hair, Vesta backhanded her. The Elysium tasted blood and she glared at Vesta, no doubt the hatred for her former mistress showing in her eyes. She was out, there was no longer any need to act like the proper little noble girl.

"Vesta!"

"I claim blood on this one! This is an escaped slave and the murderer of my husband! I demand blood!" Jelina didn't think Randel's jaw could drop any farther.

"This isn't Vashti, Vesta. We've been through this," Nikolai sighed.

Kildea studied her as Jelina struggled to free her hair from Vesta's grasp. "Remove the others," the Emperor said. "I want to question each of them alone. Starting with her."