Chapter 29

Conaire could hear the sounds of battle as they approached the village, telling him that the Wolf Brothers had beaten them there. Conaire and Nikolai watched the battle from a safe distance. The villagers were fighting valorously against their enemy. But they were rabble compared to the skill of the Rangers. Nikolai had warned him about openly attacking the village but the Moldovan refused to listen. Seeing he wouldn't turn from the course, the mercenary had finally relented.

"We can take down the villagers easy enough, but the Rangers will prove to be the formidable foes," Nikolai said.

"I want them all dead. Bring me the elf alive. She will return to Moldov one way or another, but kill everyone else. No one who harbors her shall live."

"As you say." The two watched the battle a little longer before they agreed on a strategy of attack.

~~~

The defenders' armor was now bloodstained. Jelina, Ruarc, and Ainnileas crashed through another cluster of Wolf Brothers, swords blurring with blood, heads, and limbs flying. Above all the shouts and screams of pain were heard the snarls of the Wolf Brothers and the Wolfhounds. Arrows from the village archers flew through the air, many more finding their marks than when Jelina had first arrived at the village. Jelina's lethal dance slew many that came at her. Ainnileas and Ruarc's swords dripped crimson. Not only was Dante's sword blood-covered, so was his shield from bashing in Wolf Brother skulls. Maitru cut through Wolf Brothers like water against filth. Where had he learned such skill? They heard a long and loud shout and they turned to see the Moldovans, led by Conaire himself, charge from the trees. Jelina cursed loudly in her native tongue. It was the one thing they'd hope wouldn't happen.

~~~

Mara could only watch in horror as the Moldovans swarmed the field. Not only did the militia and Rangers have the Wolf Brothers to deal with but also the slavers who'd come for Jelina. She knew things looked grim and hopeless. It would take a miracle now to save them and she felt fear grip her heart.

I'm not fearless, Mara. Courage is being afraid but going forward anyway.

Jelina's words suddenly echoed in Mara's mind. The very words she'd spoken to her the day the Wolf Brothers began their four-day siege of the village. Her jaw set. Those were her friends and family down there fighting and dying.

"Keep shooting!" she cried, finding her courage as the arrows flying into the fray began to decrease. "Do not let fear keep you from aiding the others!"

"It is hopeless, Mara!" one woman cried. "Surely you can see that! Our efforts will be for naught!"

"Your husbands, your sons, your brothers, and your fathers defend this village! They give their lives to defend us! Are you willing to let them die because you lost hope and faith! Protect them the best you can! Give them the advantage that they desperately need right now! Will you fail them when they need you the most!?"

"She's right!" Kailen cried as she stood next to Mara. The blacksmith's wife looked over the other women. "We chose to stay behind! Do what you set out to do or cower in fear within the Temple!" Mara nodded at her, thankful for her input. One by one, the archers drew their bowstrings as taut as they would go.

The Rangers of AleeraOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara