Chapter 32

AUTHOR NOTE: THE FOLLOWING CHAPTER HAS MENTIONS OF ATTEMPTED SEXUAL ASSAULT AND ABUSE. IF THIS IS TRIGGERING, PLEASE SKIP TO THE NEXT CHAPTER.

Tressa motioned for the others to sit. She'd led everyone to one of her personal sitting rooms. Lounges and couches were positioned to where Tressa's guests could converse and look each other in the eyes as they did so.

After everyone had their seats and were settled, she spoke. "I can see you speak truth about your enslavement, but I fear my husband still holds doubt." In truth, so did she. But she had a feeling that there was much to Jelina's story from slave to Ranger. Tressa could see that she was well respected by the others. "I would like to hear the full story, if you are willing."

"I am willing," the she-elf said. "If you have the time to listen to it. I fear it has been over forty years in the making."

Tressa hoped the surprise didn't show. She looked so young!

"I am Aleerian by birth," she began. "Born in the northern Wilds. I was eight when my village was raided by a slaving party. Those who resisted were murdered and the rest of us placed in chains and delivered to the slave auction in Moldov." She absently touched her neck as if she could still feel the cold iron bands of her slavery. "I cannot begin to tell you how degrading it is, even as a child, to stand before a crowd in chains and hear men make bids on what your life is worth."

Ainnileas touched her leg, close to the knee, as if he were comforting her.

"I was separated from my surviving family and sold to a man called Conaire. I served in bondage and fear in his house for eleven years. On the last night, Conaire tried to...," she paused.

Tressa felt for her. She didn't have an easy life, having spent her childhood and a good part of her adult life in fear of her master's whims. The queen was sure being a Ranger wasn't any easier.

"Tried to..." Jelina seemed to be having trouble bringing herself to say it. "Rape me."

"Oh, Elohim," Tressa whispered. Poor dear! Not only did she live in fear of the lash but also of her master's desires.

"I fought back that night and took his eye in the process. I fled in fear, using the sewers to avoid the city patrol. I was lucky to slip past the border patrol and to the sanctuary of a monastery." Jelina removed her weapons and then reached up and began to unbuckle her chest piece. Ainnileas aided her, revealing a white sleeveless shirt that laced halfway down. Jelina stood and turned away from the royals, untying the laces. "Slaves generally only serve one house and they are marked with the symbol of that house to let all others know who they belong to." She pulled down the shirt and exposed a large, ugly burn scar marring the skin of her left shoulder, along with the scars of a Wolf Brother's claw. "I had mine burned away." She righted her shirt and retied the laces before she sat down again. "I joined the Rangers the next year." Jelina fell silent.

"Your tale is amazing and touching," Liam said after a moment. "I cannot begin to tell you how I wish you didn't have to go through all of that..."

"But it is not enough for you to aid your own people." Jelina had replaced her armor and weapons.

"Jelina," Dante warned.

"No. He turns away from the witness of three Rangers because one appears to be of elven birth."

This caught Tressa's attention.

Ainnileas could see the hurt of years of hatred pushing to the surface. And that her words had caught the full attention of the queen. Jelina stood. Ainnileas followed but turned and placed a hand on her upper chest. He could see the anger and hurt in her eyes.