Chapter 10

Ainnileas had gone home with Mara, where his sons and their grandmother greeted him with joy. Zoran had told all of them, along with the rest of the village, that he'd been killed by the Wolf Brothers, even with Ryman disputing the claim. They were as overjoyed to see him as he was them. While he answered their questions about the Rangers and his journey, he heard a commotion along with barking. He stepped outside to see what was going on. Ryman, who'd stepped out of his own house to see what the commotion was about, had a surprised look on his face. Ainnileas saw the source of his surprise was Tristan. He hadn't expected to see him again. Or at least so soon. The Wolfhound saw him and bounded over to him. He went into a fit of barking. He looked up and around as Tristan continued his barking fit. He didn't see Jelina anywhere. Had something happened to her?

"Where's Jelina?"

Tristan barked and turned around, laying his ears flat and growling. He turned back around and barked again. Then he realized what was going on. There would only be one reason that the Ranger would send her faithful companion away. She sent him to warn him of a Wolf Brother attack. Which meant she was out there holding the pack off.

"Keep a watch for them."

Tristan barked and ran back to the edge of the village.

"Papa?" He hadn't heard Mara come outside. "What's going on? What was that?"

"Mara, I need you to gather what supplies you can carry and take your brothers and grandmother to the Temple. Can you do that for me?"

"Yes." He could see that he was scaring her, but she was putting on a brave face for him.

"Good girl." He kissed her forehead. "I love you, sweetheart."

Mara ran inside to do as she was told and Ainnileas turned to Ryman. After explaining to him what the Wolfhound's appearance meant, the two of them went to warn the rest of the village.

~~~

Jelina's blades were a blur as she danced her deadly dance. She'd already cut down several of the Wolf Brothers. She beheaded another one with one sword and slashed another's chest open with the other. But despite the amount that lay dead around her, she was alone in her fight. She wasn't going to be able to keep this up for much longer. She bent backward to avoid a spear, thrusting her swords into the Wolf Brother behind her. She was trying to buy the villagers time. She had faith that Ainnileas would know that Tristan showing up without her was a warning and she hoped the villagers would listen to him. She only had two choices: Stay and fight until they overwhelmed and killed her or flee to the village. She killed several more before she fled.

~~~

The Temple of Elohim was the only building in the village both big enough to hold the entire village and was easily defendable. It had a high wall surrounding it and a wooden gate that they could bar. Ainnileas' years as a soldier were returning. The others were looking up to him to lead them in the fight due to that. A handful of the villagers volunteered to fight, Ryman being the first. Brother Maitru and a few of the braver women volunteered to cover them from the walls and Temple, including Mara.

"Mara, no," Ainnileas said.

"You need all the help you can get, Papa. You're going to be out there fighting for us. I want to do my part."

"It's too dangerous."

"And what you're doing isn't?" The truth was, if he fell he did not want his daughter to have to witness it.