Chapter 38

"Darien, a reward for your victories?" Gavius said with a demented laugh as he paraded the slaves bought for the purpose of pleasing the fighters.

Darien gave him a look before turning away from the cell door.

"Come off it. You know his answer," Tobias defended his friend.

Gavius placed a hand on the whip curled at his hip. "Mind your tongue."

While most would eye that whip warily, Tobias didn't even glance at it. It was well known that neither he nor Darien took advantage of the women. They stared each other down before Gavius herded the women on to more eager men. Tobias enjoyed letting the man know that he wasn't afraid of him, even if he could kill him with just a word. He hated that the man owned him. He turned back to his friend. The elf was sitting on the edge of the small cot that he used for a bed, that same look on his face from the night of Marcus' feast.

Tobias sat on his own cot. "You said you were going to tell me what made you think of your promise."

"I know but I just... can't. If my suspicions about Denae are correct, then it'll only put her in grave danger. And I do not wish it upon her."

"What do you suspect about her?" Darien shook his head. "Trust me, no one is going to hear our conversation." The first of the cries of pleasure sounded as if to confirm the statement.

"No."

"Damn it, Darien! I am your friend. I have watched your back and saved your arse. If you do not trust me by now, then you never will."

Darien sighed and gave him a dirty look. "I trust you, Tobias. You're the only friend I've had since coming to this Elohim forsaken country. I...," He sighed and rubbed the back of his neck. "I'm not even sure I'm right."

Tobias waited.

Darien looked about them before leaning forward. "You asked me what brought up thoughts of my broken promise. Denae looks exactly like my eldest sister."

"Your sister?" He looked at Darien closely and began to notice the similarities. The same brown hair and the same clear grey eyes. The same look when the elf wanted Tobias to drop a subject or to just shut up in general. Why hadn't he seen it before? "Holy Elohim..."

Which meant there had been a large part of her past that she'd been keeping to herself. And also explained why she was here, to begin with. Now Tobias understood Dante's words. Dante knew about her past. He knew as well as she did what would happen if she were caught. Tobias rubbed the back of his neck and then gave a small laugh. They both knew her without realizing it.

"What are you finding funny?" Darien asked, frowning. "Maybe I shouldn't have told you."

"No, I'm not laughing about that. I'm laughing about the fact we both know Jelina and didn't even know it."

Darien stared at him. "How...? I never told you any of my sisters' names."

"You didn't have to. I see the resemblance now. She's one of my sisters as well.

 Darien's look turned to puzzlement.

"Somehow, your sister gained her freedom and became a Ranger." Tobias didn't see the harm in telling Darien. He wouldn't betray his own sister, especially now that he'd discovered at least one of them was still alive. He decided to keep the information that she was Elysium to himself. The elf had already had enough shocking news for the night. To discover that he wasn't exactly an elf would send him over the edge, he was sure. "She is here on a mission for the Rangers, so keep your teeth together about it. In all appearances, she's a noblewoman named Denae."

The elf nodded. "I will not put her into any more danger than she already is."

The Rangers of AleeraOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara