Chapter 13

Until he was sure the pack wouldn't return, Ainnileas kept the villagers behind the Temple walls for their safety. He led small groups into the village to gather provisions. Because of his leadership during the battle, the villagers were looking up to him to protect them. It had been a week since that battle, but it seemed more like ages. Jelina was healing nicely and quickly. Being an elf also brought about accelerated healing. She still wasn't in full fighting form but things were looking up. Ainnleas was sitting with his sons in the sanctuary when Ryman approached and placed a hand on his shoulder.

He leaned close to his ear. "We may have a problem," he whispered.

"I'll be back later." He kissed his youngest son's head.

Ryman led Ainnileas to the top of the Temple. "Any change?" he asked the man there.

"No."

They joined him at the window.

"In the field," Ryman directed Ainnileas' attention.

Two Wolf Brothers were crouched and another standing with a spear in his hand on the outside of the village, watching it intently.

"How long have they been there?"

"Today."

"Do they know you've seen them?"

"They haven't moved a muscle."

Ainnileas sighed. He had a feeling that they were planning another attack. Jelina had been right. They didn't know how big this pack really was. Could they survive if the entire pack descended upon them? "How much provisions have we saved?"

"A week. Maybe two."

He watched the Wolf Brothers for a bit. "I'll arrange watches. I don't want a surprise attack. Let me know if anything changes."

"Of course."

~~~

Ainnileas stood in the courtyard, thinking. When he left the army, he never thought he'd ever have to lead battles again. He watched as the women who'd taken up bows, including Mara, practiced with clothing stuffed with straw, Maitru walking amongst them giving them pointers. Ainnileas had been surprised at the Priest's bow skill. He wondered what he did before he became a Priest. But these weren't soldiers. These were his neighbors. His friends. His family. They were just simple villagers.

"The joys of being a leader."

Ainnileas looked over at Jelina as she stood next to him. He hadn't heard her approach. She had donned her armor once more, her twin swords peaking over her shoulders and the bow in its place. Her daggers were on her thighs. Looking at her, you'd think she hadn't been badly wounded a week ago.

"What are you doing out here? The healers —"

"I needed to have a conversation with someone who isn't afraid of me. They all see the elf, although your daughter is the only exception. She sees the Ranger. She takes after her father on that."

Ainnileas chuckled. "She's been through so much in the past three years. Her mother's death. Nearly losing me. Now the Wolf Brothers."

"That would explain her maturity. She acts like a grown woman. I keep forgetting she's not even fifteen."

"She helps me with her brothers and she helps her grandmother when I'm on a trading trip." Jelina's eyes took on the distant look of memory. It only reminded him of how much he didn't know about her. "Are you alright?"

"I'm fine. But something's bothering you."

Ainnileas sighed. "That obvious?"

"To me it is."

He motioned towards the Temple. They stopped and leaned against the wall of the Temple. Most of the villagers in the courtyard were busy tending animals or practicing with their weapon of choice. He told Jelina what Ryman had reported.

"Scouts," she simply said. "Sounds like they're planning on returning." His thoughts exactly.

"We don't have enough fighters to hold them off if they decide to do a second attack. Our last fight nearly ended in disaster."

"You had enough warning to make sure the villagers were safe and to mount a defense."

"I almost lost you."

She looked at him. Even if no one else in this village cared for her presence, he cared. They were both quiet for a moment. Her face was unreadable and not betraying any of her thoughts. Ainnileas was kicking himself for being so blunt.

"That wouldn't have been a disaster, Ainnileas. One fighter out of ten. Death is a part of battle. And according to that Zoran character, it wouldn't have been a great loss." She gave a grin, letting him know she hadn't taken offense to it. Ainnileas was tired of the comments Zoran had been making about the "wild elf". Apparently, he'd made one within earshot of Jelina.

He pinched the bridge of his nose. "I swear I'll —"

"He's not the first. Everywhere I have gone, I've had negative experiences. While most Rangers can travel with only their Wolfhounds for company, I couldn't. Because I'm an elf, I've always had to have a companion." She looked across the courtyard at the practicing archers. She absently played with the tail of her braid. "I have always been faced with hate. You get used to it, whether you like it or not. I've had over fifty years to do so."

Ainnileas raised a brow. "Truly? You don't look it." She looked like she was nearing thirty, not past fifty.

She gave a small smile. "Thank you. Now stop flattering me."

He chuckled. "Someone should do it."

Jelina laughed.

"You shouldn't have to become used to such bigotry," he continued. "The war was centuries ago. Those that fought in it or saw it firsthand are dead." Had he been so different? Would he have accepted an elf before meeting Jelina? He wondered if Ryman had accepted that he would have had an elven sister had he had the immunity or resistance to join the Rangers.

"People aren't going to change their minds overnight. The hate is centuries old after all." She motioned to the villagers. "I'm the manifestation of all the scary stories they've been told. The only reason they haven't tried to kill me or run me out is you. And perhaps the fact that I helped defend the village. But mostly you vouching for me." She sighed. "Story of my last thirty years."

Ainnileas studied her. There was a sadness to her as she spoke. Jelina may have said she was used to the bigotry, but he could see it still hurt her. "Ruarc and Alistair weren't just your friends, were they? They were your protectors as well."

"They both stood up for me in my early days. They were my closest friends. Perhaps my only friends at first. They protected me right to their deaths." She walked over to Mara and lifted her arm. The girl had been missing the "fatal" shots. "Breathe out before releasing the arrow."

Mara nodded and did so, hitting the target where the heart would have been. "Does that work every time?"

"Try it."

Ainnileas smiled as Jelina gave Mara pointers and even demonstrated. He found himself once again wondering how an elf became a Ranger.