Chapter 30

Several of the militia and Rangers had been slain during the battle. Many more were wounded at differing degrees. Jelina used her newfound power to aid those that she could. Ryman was grateful for her assistance, having taken wounds to his chest and neck. She was full of surprises, he'd told her. Then she came across Zoran. He was already deathly pale and was bleeding from several wounds.

She reached down to begin to administer to him when he grabbed her hands, startling her. "I have... been an... ass to you. I... am truly... sorry."

"Be still, Zoran. Don't speak."

"It... is too... late for... me. Please... forgive... me."

"It is not too late. I have the power to save you. Don't be stubborn."

"Forgive... me..., Jelina..." It was the first time he'd called her by her name and not "wench" or "wild elf".

"Zoran." He squeezed her hand and she placed hers over his. "I already forgave you."

"Then... I can... die... in peace."

"Don't." But it was too late. Jelina closed his eyes and said a prayer for him.

As she tended to the wounded that she could, she kept expecting to hear the cry of "witch!" or "sorceress!". But to her relief, no one did. They only thanked her. She had been fighting for them for months. They had shed blood together and defended this village. But she was sure that the old legends were on their minds since her display of power in the battle.

~~~

The survivors of the battle gathered in the sanctuary to thank Elohim for their survival and victory. Maitru led the prayer, being the only Priest still in the village. She was grateful that he'd defied the High Priest's order to not fight. She had never seen a Priest handle a sword, let alone one with his skill. Maitru matched Ainnileas in skill. After the prayer, most of the Rangers and villagers left the sanctuary. Jelina had remained in the last row bench, deep in thought. Her elbows were on her knees and her forehead rested on her clasped hands. In all appearances, she seemed to be praying. But many thoughts swam through her mind. How had she done that? Had she always been able to use magic? That was what that had to be. A magical blast. And the healing she'd been able to do suddenly. How? How was that possible? She thought back to the moment before the blast. She'd felt as if something had awoken in her. The rage she'd kept locked away at how she'd been robbed of a normal life seemed to have fueled it. Before she knew it, she was surrounded by a powerful white light and knew she was meant to use that power to win the battle and save Ainnileas. She also knew what that newfound power meant but it was impossible. Her family was elves. Her father had died trying to protect them. She was sure her mother and siblings were either dead or still toiling in their captivity. If they weren't just elves, the only ones to die that day would have been the slavers. She felt someone sit down next to her. She looked up to see Ainnileas. He placed a hand on her arm. Mara joined them, followed by Dante and Ruarc.

"I know what you are about to ask," she said. "I... I don't know what that was. It just... happened. I can't explain it."

"I presume that was the first time?" Dante asked.

Jelina nodded. "I have never done anything like that before. I didn't even know I could do...," She hesitated to admit it. "Magic." They fell silent.

Mara said aloud what Jelina had been thinking. "You're an Elysium."

Jelina shook her head. "That's impossible."