Chapter 25

A healer blotted the fevered sweat from Jelina's forehead. While the two Rangers with more grievous wounds and the third Ranger, who had looked to have gone through the same torments as Jelina, had succumbed, the she-elf refused to give in. It was almost as if she truly were too stubborn to die. Whatever torments she'd been subjected to, they seemed to be replaying in her fevered dreams. She was restless, tossing about in the bed and muttering in her sleep. The healers did not know what she was saying as she'd slipped into the tongue of her ancestors.

~~~

Ruarc stood, his good arm against the door frame. The cries in the elven tongue had begun that night. They had become progressively worst. It was taking everything for him not to rush into the room. While Jelina had taught him her language and he was fairly fluent in it, what she was saying now he didn't understand a word of it. He had a stray wonder if the elves had two languages. Ainnileas was across from the door, leaning against the wall and looking up at the ceiling, praying for Elohim to give her peace and looking like he, too, wanted to rush to her side. Dante was leaning against the wall closest to Ruarc. Her cries were killing him, knowing there was nothing he could do for her. He looked upon each of his Rangers as a father would his children. And there had been a rumor that Jelina was his child, despite the fact he was only a decade older than she. What hurt the most was he could only pray.

~~~

The three men stood in breathless anticipation. Anyone who passed close to them could feel the tension. Jelina had finally quieted after three days of fevered cries and all three prayed that she had not taken a turn for the worst. Finally, the door opened and a healer emerged. Ruarc was able to catch a glimpse of the sweat-soaked she-elf. She was lying in the bed and he guessed she was in her smallclothes, he could only see her bare shoulders and arms. Her hair was loose and lay to the side and was soaked, stray strands clinging to her forehead. The door closed before he could see any more.

"Any news?" Ainnileas asked.

"Her fever has broken." All three gave a breath of relief.

"Thank Elohim," Dante breathed.

"Don't thank Him just yet, Dante. She is still unconscious and there is still no sign of her waking soon. But you may see her now." She opened the door and stepped aside.

~~~

Jelina slowly became aware. She focused on keeping her breathing steady. She listened. She could hear the steady breathing of four people and an animal. The air smelled fresh and clean, not stale and musty. She could feel warmth and felt as if she were lying on a soft bed, not cold stone. She was terrified that all of this was but a dream and that when she opened her eyes she would be back in that dank cellar with Ruarc. Or worse, staring Conaire's lapdog in the face as he tried to break her, spirit, body, and soul. The man was ruthless and took joy in causing her pain and reveled in her screams. She decided to risk it and opened her eyes. She truly hoped that this vision wasn't a figment of her fevered imagination. Jelina was in the room the Priests had given her when she first came to Ainnileas' village. She quickly glanced around her. The room had the look of early morning twilight. Ruarc was sitting on a stool next to the bed. He was asleep with his head on the bed and his hand in hers. Ainnileas was sitting against the wall, his head on his chest. Mara lay on the floor, her head resting on her father's lap. Ainnileas' hand rested on her shoulder. Dante had taken a chair and had fallen asleep with his head resting on his fist. He was the only one she knew who could fall asleep in odd positions but the man was a light sleeper when he did. She couldn't see him, but Jelina was sure Tristan was laid out next to the bed. She smiled. They had come for her. Her family. Yes, this was her family. Dante, Tristan, Ruarc, Ainnileas, Mara. They had risked themselves to come for her and she was grateful for it. Her eyes fell on Ruarc. He looked peaceful as he slept. She didn't know how long she'd been in that fort but it felt like it had been years. She gently squeezed his hand. The sudden movement must have startled him because he suddenly shot upright and looked at her.