Chapter 36

Ainnileas could tell something was bothering Jelina. She was sitting at the vanity in her room with an elbow propped on it. Her fist was against her mouth and she seemed to be in deep thought. She hadn't spoken much since seeing the Ranger and the elf at Marcus' feast the night before. The sight of the two of them on display and in chains made Ainnileas fight the urge to free them. He didn't know how Jelina, Dante, or Ruarc had been able to stay passive. It was one of their brothers chained like an animal. Truthfully, he'd been astonished to see the man's tattoos. He couldn't remove the image in his mind of the two men with their wrists and ankles shackled and the chain running from the iron band around their necks to the chain connecting their wrists. Seeing men demoralized like that made him think of Jelina's words to the king.

I cannot begin to tell you how degrading it is, even as a child, to stand before a crowd in chains...

And he'd seen that in the eyes of the elf. Ainnileas knocked on the door frame to let her know he was there. Even though she was supposed to be posing as a noblewoman, he was sure she had a dagger within reach and surprising her would be a sure way to either lose his manhood or be killed. She looked over her shoulder at him.

He walked into the room and sat on the bed. "I can see something's bothering you. Is it the Ranger we saw?"

"Among other things." She turned to face him. "I don't know if I can watch the fight tomorrow. I don't know if I'll be able to watch them in a battle to the death."

He reached over and placed a hand on her leg. It was odd not feeling her daggers there. "I understand that you don't wish to see a brother fall and you not being able to aid him."

Jelina bit her lip and looked down. "There's more to it than not wanting to see a fellow Ranger fall. I know them both. The elf..." She hesitated and Ainnileas wondered if he had been a lover she'd left behind in her escape. "The elf... is my brother."

Ainnileas gave her a puzzled look.

"My blood brother," she clarified.

He was sure the surprise showed on his face. "Holy Elohim!" Now it made sense why the elf had been staring at her and why he watched her afterward. He'd recognized her. "Are you positive it's him? It's been over forty years."

Jelina nodded. "I'm positive it's Darien."

Ainnileas pulled her into his arms. "I'm sorry." He couldn't even begin to imagine the thoughts running through her mind when she'd seen her brother on display like a prize-winning animal. Knowing that she lived in freedom while her family still lived in bondage. Had she had to live with that since her escape?

~~~

Darien mentally prepared for the fight, pushing aside all thoughts save the battle to come.

"Can I count on you to watch my back?" Tobias asked.

"Of course."

The Ranger nodded. Darien still hadn't told him about Denae's resemblance to his oldest sister. He himself had been the eldest child. Jelina has come along two years later. The roar of the crowd broke through his thoughts and told him the battle that had been going on had ended.

"Now!" Gavius' voice rang clear over the crowd. Darien sometimes wondered how he never lost his voice. "The fight you have all come to see! I presume our next fighters need no introduction?" The crowd roared.