Lullaby

Chapter 24: Lullaby

Autumn harmonizes with each chapter of our lifetime. The leaves that put on a sallow tone of decay fall like our years, the flowers curl and rot fading like hours, and the clouds are rapid like our illusions. As the sun declines into arctic conditions our sentiments become frozen; the rivers frozen like our lives.

The crow perches on the bare branch its feathers shimmer in the moonlight. It slants its head to the side and stares at me, its eyes solemn and questioning. It took a dive at me without warning that's when I woke startled.

I clutched my chest my heart pounding violently, "Ah...A dream...? Thank goodness..!"

My heart refused to settle as I blankly stared into the dark. I felt the bed move and give a creak in protest as Reiji shifted.

"It seems you were having a nightmare. Good grief...Are you able to sleep more quietly?" He asked in a languid tone.

"R-Reiji-san....Did I wake you up? I'm so sorry..."

He sat up letting the sheets fall from his shoulders reveling his naked chest. His muscles were sleek and firm. The material of his undergarments rested at his hips before his navel. His brows furrowed as he noticed me staring.

"Its only natural. Considering how loud you were."

He shook his head with displeasure, "Honestly..."

"I'm sorry. I had a pretty scary dream." I confessed.

"Hmph..."

His lips turned downward in annoyance.

"Is there truly something more horrifying than spending time and sleeping with a vampire? If so please enlighten me."

"I remember it was really scary, but..."

I paused trying to recall my dream. I shook my head.

"It looks like I already forgot as I was talking to you, Reiji-san."

His crimson eyes narrowed and his let out a sigh. The tension in his shoulders seemed to recede as he let them drop.

"Dreams are such fickle things. If you have already forgotten, then hurry back to sleep."

He let his body decline into the mattress.

"Okay."

I looked at him as he faced me resting on his pillow.

"But, when I think that I might get another nightmare, I'm kinda afraid to sleep." I frowned as I let this sentence leave my lips.

He sighed, "You are truly a hopeless person."

"Come here.'

"Eh.."

"Why are you dawdling? I told you to come over." He snapped motioning towards himself.

"A-Alright!" I responded.

I slumped next to him my back touching his chest. He took his arms and wrapped them around me pulling me close.

"Well then, is this better?"

I felt his warm breath tickle my ear. I could hear the hidden amusement that laced his words.

"I will continue to hold you like this to you fall asleep."

"T-Thank you very much. But...It looks like my nerves are going to make it more difficult to sleep."

"If you continue to be so nervous, then you will be unable to rest well."

His arms gave a small squeeze as if to reassure me, "Relax and entrust yourself to me."

"O-Okay.." I relented.

His chest was wide and I was completely wrapped in his arms. I stared at his face in silence.

"Komori Yui. Stop staring at my face and close your eyes." He ordered.

"Y-Yes!" I squeaked.

His features soften as he stared at me. His voice broke our silence.

"Its strange, however."

"What do you mean?" I asked in confusion.

"I am referring to you, Yui. Do you not think that is more frightening?"

He scowled his eyebrows scrunching up.

"This reality that you could not escape from even if you wish to wake up."

I may have been put though terrible experiences but I couldn't imagine not staying by this persons side.

When I looked to him his scowl was now absent and he now had an expression filled with playfulness.

"I shall say this is advance. Should you wake me up again..."

He paused.

"At that time, I shall wake you up without hesitation and give you a punishment."

His lips curled its a smile as he threatened me.

I gulped and replied, "Understood."

His palm rested on my head as he moved it back and forth. It felt so nice I drifted to sleep before I knew it.

Author Notes:

Ahhhh finally done....

Sorry for the late release please don't skin me alive!! I'm trying to get adjusted to my collage classes. I can't believe how much time I let get away from me! Anyways this is a short sweet chapter which I hope you enjoyed.

RUKI-SENAPI