Chapter 34

Chapter 34

Aubrey's POV

"Hurry Kelly!" I shouted

Pulling a light jacket on I started toward the door as she appeared behind me. Excitement rushed through me as I ran up to her side, grabbing her arm I started to drag her along.

"Come on Kel." I whined

"Alright, alright." she chuckled

Grabbing her coat I tossed it at her not bothering to check where I threw it. Rushing to the door I couldn't help but break out into a run, legs pumping, my shoes pounding against the short green grass with droplets of the rain shower from this morning. The sky was a clear blue, not a cloud in sight with the sun shining brightly in the middle of the sky warming the ground below.

"Aubs!" I heard her shout but I didn't stop

My chest rose and fell with every breath forced out, my lungs protesting as my legs trembled with every step but still I didn't stop. I couldn't, not today. They were coming home, Hunter and Alex were returning after being away for two months. I counted every week, day, hour, and minute wishing with all my heart that my father's antidote worked.

After I woke up Hunter and I had only spent a week together before my father came forth with an idea to keep Hunter's wolf under control. The answer was to mix another serum, this one with DNA of a human; it started the thirst and my dad thought it would keep the monster under control. To combine Hunter's tainted DNA with that of an innocent, pure human. My dad's theory was that the human DNA would balance out the wolf DNA if combined properly with Hunter's remaining DNA. That balance would give Hunter a fighting chance to keep his wolf under control. My father was confident it would work but my uncle Matt wasn't taking the chance.

When the antidote was finished uncle Matt ordered for Hunter to be transferred to the prison in Moon Creek while his training is in order. My father spent three weeks there while recording Hunter's reaction to the new serum before leaving. Alex had volunteered to help train Hunter control his thirst, he felt obligated to help Hunter for rescuing us from the wrath of Gina.

Gina. That was a name I hadn't thought of in a long time for the simple reason that I pitied the poor girl. Convicted for threatening the peace and creating a monster she was sent to a prison near her home before her execution. My heart went out to the girl although she lost her marbles I couldn't really blame her for avenging her mate. When I had thought I lost Hunter it had felt as if my world crumbled around me and he had walked out on me. I can't and wouldn't want to imagine the excruciating pain Gina felt all these years, knowing her mate was forever gone.

"Aubrey hold up!"

Reluctantly my legs stopped, rooting to the ground now feeling the effect of my spontaneous run. Less than seconds later Kelly was at my side.

"You do know they are driving to the cabin? The cabin you just ran out of like a crazy woman."

Nodding, I released a shaky breath hoping to catch my breath before they arrived. I don't want Hunter's first image of me to be of me panting like a dog in a heatwave.

"I've missed him so much Kelly, I just can't wait that long."

My heart ached just thinking of the last torturous few weeks. No visits, or even a phone call to just hear his voice, nothing. I had to endure two months, eight weeks, sixty-one days, sixty nights of wishing I could be with him. Some days felt worse than others, at my lowest day I had burst into tears and begged my uncle to let me see him.

It was all worth Hunter being cured. The beast no longer controlled him or the thirst to kill.

It was all over.