Chapter 31

Chapter 31

Hunter's POV

Lifting my nose up I followed Aubrey's scent further into the forest that led closer to the edge of town as I spared a glance over my shoulder for what felt like the twentieth time in the last hour. The trail was still fresh thankfully since it hasn't snowed in the past twenty-four hours but judging by the white sky above that won't last long; continuing forward I knew if it snowed I'd lose the trail and my only lead on Aubrey's location.

Lowering my snout I sniffed the ground puzzled by how strong her scent was, as if someone had dragged Aubrey this whole way but the tire prints that were faint said otherwise and the scent shouldn't be as strong if she were dragged but than how? Its almost as if someone wanted me to find her. Shaking my head of the confusing circle of questions that have been gnawing at me all night.

At least I haven't seen Matt or his men during the night I'm sure Alex had something to do with that. The broken expression the last time I saw him made me wonder if I looked just as broken as him while I was away from Aubrey. Was I that obvious? Did it show in the outside just how much I was hurting on the inside? All I wanted was to see my beautiful girl, to hold her in my arms and kiss every tear I knew she shed for me from our time apart. To beg her forgiveness for hurting her both physically and emotionally but it would make things worse for her when the execution date finally came and she would be forced to watch as I die.

I couldn't do that to Aubrey; to put her through the heartache of watching me die. I love her too much to make her suffer because of my mistakes. It had been a torturous two weeks and the hallucinations didn't help my thinning patience; waking up from the too short day dream to find myself alone when seconds ago I had my blonde beauty in my arms.

'Mate, find mate!' my wolf growled at the sidetrack thoughts consuming my head

Shaking my head I narrowed my eyes on the powder ground with a now clear mind; there was no time to day dream not when Aubrey was still missing. Pounding my heavy paws against the ground I felt the cold grip of fear clutch my heart as the same nagging voice repeated the one scenario I hoped wasn't the case.

Gina.

My late brother's best friend is bitter as a sour apple over what happened all those years ago and I can't really blame her but if she is taking it out on Aubrey that would be a different story.

'Hurry, mate!' my wolf barked annoyed by the wandering of my thoughts again

'Hold on buttercup I'm coming for you.' I thought as if she could here me

~*~*~*~*~

Aubrey's POV

Rolling my head to the side I shut my eyes briefly wishing I had a glass of water or even a mouth full would do. My mouth felt dry like I hadn't drank for weeks, my tongue like sandpaper and stuck to the top of my mouth. Not to mention my face still ached from the slap earlier, no doubt my face is swollen and judging by the throbbing it was forming a bruise. Groaning I felt a stabbing pain in the back of my head where the strange girl had hit me.

"Aubrey are you okay?"

Upon hearing Kelly's shaky voice I reopened my eyes to meet her worried gaze. Nodding I gave her a reassuring smile that felt shaky and weak the opposite of what I was going for. Opening my mouth to speak I paused when the sound of metal clattering caused us both to stare at the closed door where the psycho was doing who knows what.

"What do you think she's going to do to us?" I asked fearing the answer

With a sad smile she glanced down at her dirt filled fingers and that one gesture was enough to answer my question. Gulping down the lump in my throat; the fear of knowing that we are in danger but not knowing when or how.