Chapter 23

Chapter 23

Aubrey's POV

Wrapping my arms around my waist I gave a weak smile and nodded unsure of what I was agreeing to, this whole night has been exactly like this. When my parents invited me to dinner I wanted to say no but uncle Matt had called right after them asking me to join them since my mom had insisted he come over. Reluctantly I agreed and threw on a simple royal blue knee length dress with a sweetheart neckline matched with pair of blue ballet flats, and pulled my hair up into a elegant bun merely minutes before my uncle picked me up.

Now here we were sitting on the front porch with some coffee as my mom badgered my uncle about his love life. I bet it's better than mine, I thought sadly.

"Aubrey honey did you hear me."

Shaking my head I blinked in confusion at my mom "What?"

Her thin brows pulled together two parallel lines spreading along her forehead.

"That's the third time you spaced out, is something on your mind."

"Just the usual." I sighed reaching for a double chunky chocolate cookie needing the comfort food

"That's your seventh cookie honey do you really want the added calories." she said in a hushed whisper as if both men wouldn't hear

Shrugging my shoulders I took a large bite, I was planning to pig out tonight on ice cream but this will do till I get home.

"Don't listen to her Aubby every guy loves a curvy woman, I'm sure Hunter dies." Matt said placing his hand on my shoulder

"She's still my daughter." my dad boomed angrily

The cookie felt dry and tasteless in my mouth at the mention of him, I couldn't even think his name. Gulping the now bitter cookie down I placed the rest down unable to stomach what little of dinner I managed to eat. After bawling my eyes out for hours I realized he wasn't coming back so I picked myself up went into my room before Kelly came home and sat there no tears, no sobs not even a hiccup I just laid there in the with the curtains closed feeling miserable.

"Oh sweetheart I'm sorry I didn't mean to upset you." my mom said snapping me from the dark day I spent alone in my room

Swiping at my eyes I shook my head "It's not you mom."

Leaning forward she gripped my hands her ocean blue eyes looking me over like she did when she sensed something a mist.

"Why don't you help me with the dishes?" she whispered pulling me up to my feet

Nodding I stacked the empty plates on top of each other along as she followed with our cups.

"You boys catch up we'll be back soon." she said

Heading in through the back door I placed the plates into the sink and grabbed the sponge when my mom shut the door after her and raced over to the blender flipping it on. Running over to where I was she pulled me away from the sink noticing my confusion.

"That's so they don't hear us." she whispered by my ear "Now why don't you tell me what has you looking so down."

"Mom.." I said pulling my hands away

Rolling her eyes she placed her hands on her hips. Biting the inside of my cheek I felt the pesky tears stinging my eyes for the billionth time today.

"Look your crying sweetheart what's wrong." she said reaching her hands up to my face

Stepping back I hated myself for being so weak as tears slid down my cheeks.