Chapter 20

Chapter 20

Aubrey's POV

Slowly my eyes fluttered open as the warm morning sun hit my face annoyingly and for a second I was going to turn away when I glanced down at Hunter's peaceful expression as he snored lightly. Looking down I saw his arms draped around me keeping me close against him.

Raising my hand up I grazed the tips of my fingers over the dried streaks of tears on his cheeks proof that last night actually happened. Hunter just came out of nowhere barging into my room looking like he'd gone to hell and back. I knew something was wrong especially when he dropped in front of me bawling his eyes out.

Sighing I lowered my hand wondering what happened that had him looking so broken last night. He spent most of the night in my arms weeping silently as I cried for whatever pain he was dealing with. Neither one of us spoke when he climbed into the bed pulling me with him and held me tightly as if I'd vanish into thin air.

Barely sleeping we both lay in each others arms in silence with only our shallow breathing.

The way he held me last night was different than the other nights, last night he seemed desperate to have me near him like I was his air and without me he'd suffocate. It scared me when I realized this as different scenarios bounced around in my head only adding to my fear but I didn't ask him. Something just told me he needed the silence.

Lifting his heavy arms I slid backwards hoping to slip out quietly but just as his pinky fell onto the empty space where I was he groaned and snapped his eyes open.

"Aubrey?" he questioned starting to sit up

"I'm going to get us breakfast, you stay in bed." I whispered and kissed his mouth briefly

He nodded and leaned back against the pillow but didn't shut his eyes. Sparing one more glance at his large figure sprawled on the bed I slipped out spotting Kelly leaning against the counter with a bowl of cereal.

"You look like shit." she said before putting a spoon full cookie crisp in her mouth

"Morning to you too." I grumbled and saw a pot of coffee already awaited me

Grabbing to mugs I sweetened and milked it to our liking, turning towards the freezer I grabbed a few frozen waffles popping them into the toaster as I set a bowl of strawberries and the whole bottle of syrup knowing Hunter loves to drown his waffles with syrup.

"So what's up with Hunter?" Kelly said as the waffles popped out

Shaking my head I placed another set in hoping he wasn't listening to us right now. Since he just stormed in I knew Kelly would want to know what's going on especially if she noticed how broken he was when he arrived.

"Aubrey." she began but I whipped around stopping her from uttering another word

"Look this is something personal and frantically not my place to tell so please Kelly just let it go." I said in a calm tone

Kelly's soft caramel eyes searched my features for any sign of me changing my mind but saw none. Reluctantly she nodded and for that I was grateful.

The last thing I want is for Hunter to have any reason to not trust me.

"I'm guessing your taking a day off from school since it's already nine thirty." Kelly said as the waffles popped out

Sticking another set in I brushed the blonde hair off my face "Yeah I'm not really in the mood anyway." I shrugged

Kelly raised a brow in shock "Ditching school, I'm proud of your rebellious attitude although it's over due."