Chapter Twenty-Nine

Zev's POV

"Are you sure we're going the right way? We've been walking for hours."

"I'm pretty sure we are. I mean, Alisha is the one who knows where our sisters are located. I don't think she'd lie to us, especially since the Elders sent us to confirm the location."

"Can we at least stop and take a break. My paws are killing me, and it's almost dawn."

"Fine, Zev, fine, we'll take a break, okay? Just stop whining."

"Oh sweet Jesus, thank you." I quickly went limp across the ground. "Love ya, big sis."

Topaz rolled her eyes at me, but then she laid down next to me.

The sun was slowly rising. Some sunlight was able to shine through the tall trees around us. A few birds flew by, and some other woodland creatures ran past us. If I wasn't so tired, I would've gone for a hunt.

"You just ate 30 minutes ago!" My sister barked.

"All I had was a little mouse, that's not even a snack for a full grown wolf like me!" I whined.

Topaz sighed. "Why did I have to have siblings? I could've been an only child but no, four more of you suddenly came along."

"Don't act like you don't love us." I teased her.

She rolled her eyes at me again. Then her eyes trails off into the distance.

"What's wrong?" I asked. I followed her gaze, and almost jumped in excitement from what I saw. "Is that Sapphire?"

"I think... Come on, let's go see."

We both got up, and carefully trotted over to what seemed to be my sister. We didn't go all the way up to her though, because we'd be crossing the border lines.

I examined the large black wolf, who was sound asleep. "Yup, that's her. I recognize that snore from anywhere."

"Should we wake her up?"

I thought about it, but then shook my head no. I pointed my head to the left to show my sister the human that was resting against my Sapphire's fur. That must be her mate, one of the hunters that she insists on hanging around with. I growled at the thought. How could she be so stupid to do this to herself? Not only her, but Artemis, and Carmen too.

"Zev, calm down." Topaz nuzzled me a little.

"I should just kill the human now, and get shit over with." I snarled. "We'll have one down, and two others left to worry about."

"We're not here to kill anyone. We've done our job, we know where the territory border is."

"We do?"

"Of course. Why else would these two be out here? They're on patrol, making sure there's no threat coming to them. Look," Topaz signaled to the right, "Those are special knives used to kill our kind. They belong to the hunter, of course. With those equipment, and with Sapphire in her wolf form, they were prepared for an kind of surprise attack."

"Oh, I'm Topaz, I know things, I say words."

My sister gave me a look. "You're so immature." She shook her head. "Come on, let's report back to the Elders." My sister started to run off.

I took one last look at Sapphire, and the hunter. I sighed, knowing that once we report back to the Elders, we'd soon be back for the start of what might be a bloody battle. I sighed, then followed my older sister back to our pack grounds.