Chapter Thirteen

Sapphire's POV

Once Luna turned around, I quickly took off the black shirt and the sweatpants that I was wearing. I phased soon after, knowing that I was putting myself in danger. There are so many dangerous factors that go along with me exposing myself to Luna, but I didn't care.

As soon as I shifted, I immediately noticed how tense Luna got. She was probably fed up with seeing so many wolves in her life. I'd feel the same if numerous hunters were constantly tracking me down.

"Don't be scared." I begged her. The last thing I wanted was to see her run away in fear. Though, I doubt she would be able to. Her ankle still looked bad.

"What did you do to her?" Luna suddenly asked.

"To who?"

"Don't play dumb. What did you do to Sapphire?" Her was was more tense than ever.

Was she serious? "Have you seriously not figured it out yet?" I sighed. Was stupidity a human thing? I'll give the girl props though. She was hiding her fear pretty well.

The girl started staring me up and down, then her bright blue eyes widened. "Sapphire?"

I confirmed her assumption by nodding.

"No way." She breathed. "You're a werewolf?" She asked in amazement. I nodded again. She wasn't as scared I thought she would be, which made my canine heart happy.

I walked over to her as she slowly sat up to examine me more. I lowered my head to her level, and she reached over and rubbed my head gently. I closed my eyes and exhaled sharply. The feeling of her hand on my head made my breathing slow down, and it calmed my nerves. But, she suddenly stopped, and I opened my eyes and looked up at her. Luna had an upset look spread across her face.

"If you're a werewolf, then you must know there are humans that kill your kind, right?"

"Yes, I know."

"You know I'm supposedly classified as one."

I nodded again. "That's why you've been targeted for so long. You're family is the only hunters in this area, along with mine being the only wolves.My pack finds the need to exterminate you and your siblings. You guys are our only threat."

"So, are you going to kill me?" She asked me in one of the lowest tones ever.

"No.. I'm not." I looked at the girl in front of me. She was shaking a little, and I could tell that her fear rose up again. I rubbed my head against her hand to try to calm her down again. "If anything, all I want to do is protect you."

"Why? Aren't we enemies."

"Technically, yes. But there's more to it. See, on the night of your parent's murder, I was assigned to kill you along with your brother and sister. Before I got to you though, my cousin was already all over you."

I paused to see if I was getting any reactions out of Luna. I figured if I told her what happened the night of the attack, she'd figure out why I wasn't focused on killing her. So far, she had calmed down again, and it seemed like she was trying her best to remember, so I kept going.

"I came to your rescue, and ran her off. You were severely injured, and I could've ended your life right then and there, but I obviously didn't. I went against orders, and brought you to this exact house. I bandaged you up and took care of you. Once you got better, I returned you home."

"I still don't understand, why didn't you just-" But before she could finish, her cell phone rang in the distance. It had fallen out of her pocket earlier when I placed her on the couch, so I put it on the coffee table.