Chapter Twelve

Luna's POV

When I woke up, I felt like I was in pain all over. I had a headache, my arms felt numb and so did my legs down to my feet. What freaked me out thought was that I was on a couch, wrapped up in a blanket, in a house that didn't look like mine. Don't get me wrong, I was pretty comfortable in that blanket though, but I had no idea where I was.

I had woken up to what sounded like two girls discussing over something. I only managed to hear part of the conversation.. Something about a wolf that saved my life or something. Then I remembered the black wolf that had saved me earlier on in the alleyway. That couldn't have been real though. The wolf had communicated with me.. I mean, the wolf actually TALKED to me. Last time I checked, wolves do not talk, so I'm pretty sure it was a dream.

At least I wish it was.

I decided to stretch myself out, but I felt a sharp pain near my ankle. I lifted the cover up to see that my whole foot had been wrapped up. Now, I was defiantly freaked out.

"Hello? Is anyone here?" I called out. I silently hoped that I wasn't in the house of an old, ugly, pedophile. I frantically looked around some more, and when I turned around, I saw Sapphire and some other girl who looked kind of familiar standing next to her. "Um, Sapphire.. What's going on?" I asked.

The other girl quickly left the scene, and Sapphire was left there staring at me, trying to think of something to say I guess.

"Okay, uh.. How do I put this." Sapphire started. She rubbed the back of her neck, walked towards me, and knelt down besides the couch. "Do you remember anything prior to you waking up?"

"Well, I was walking home from a friend's house. I took a short cut, and then I was attacked by.." I trailed off, trying to find something else to say. I didn't want her to think I was crazy by telling her about the encounters I've been having with these giant wolves. "I.. got mugged by some kind of gang?" It came out more as a question on accident.

Sapphire stared at me as if confused by my answer. Then she sighed and shook her head. She looked off to the side before she spoke. "Luna.. you don't have to lie to me. I know we've only met a few days ago, but you can trust me with anything."

I bit my lip, trying to figure out what I should do or say. Should I tell her what happened? There was just something about Sapphire that made me feel like I could trust her with anything. Anything at all, including my own life. "Alright, but you're still not going to believe me when I tell you."

"Try me." She shrugged.

"Okay, um.. I was attacked by a wolf."

"A wolf?" She raised an eyebrow.

"Yes, only it wasn't your average canine. Sapphire, this thing was huge, and probably as tall as you. Get this though, another wolf came to my rescue. Only this one was bigger, almost 6 feet tall."

"Oh really..?"

"Seriously." By the tone of her voice, I could tell that she didn't believe me, but I didn't stop there. "The strangest thing though was that it talked to me. Well, it didn't exactly speak, but it was like I could read it's mind, almost like telepathy. The last thing I remember was that I got onto it's back, and then it took me somewhere, saying that it would help me, and the next thing I knew I woke up on this couch."

By the look on her face, I was almost sure that Sapphire thought I was crazy. She didn't speak for a while, but she did stand up and started pacing back and forth in front of me. Finally, she stopped and looked dead at me.

"Look, I know this seems unreal, but I can't make this stuff up. This isn't the first time I've been targeted by wolves either. Actually, I-" I paused in mid-sentence. I was going to mention that I was technically some kind of hunter, but I decided against it. I didn't want to freak the girl out too much. "You know what.. Never mind. Forget what I told you. I'm pretty sure it was just a nightmare, or something."

"No, it wasn't."

"Huh?"

"Luna, do you remember 4 years ago when your family was attacked by a pack of wolves." She suddenly asked.

"Um, yes. I do remember. But, how did you-"

"Do you remember how you got home that night?"

"No, I don't. Last I remember, I was targeted by another giant wolf." I spurted out. "Why are you asking this, and how did you know about that night? I never told you or any of my friends about what happened."

"I was there that night. Actually, a couple of my family members were there too." She paused and looked away from me. "Luna, I have to show you something, but you have to promise me that you won't freak out or tell anyone else about this, alright?"

I was already confused as to what she was saying, because as far as I remember, my family was the only one that was at that camp site when the attack happened. It took me a while to respond, but I slowly nodded my head yes to her question. To be honest, I was afraid to know what she was going to show me, but I was curious at the same time.

"I'm going to need you to turn around.." She requested. "Just for a split second."

So I turned back around, and faced the windows on the side of the house. I looked outside and saw that it was the late afternoon. My sister would probably be home from work soon, and knowing her she'd be freaking out, wondering where I was. I also took note that the house I was located in was surrounded by a ton of trees. Was I in the middle of a forest? Whatever Sapphire had to show me, she'd better make it quick, because this whole situation was starting to freak me the hell out.

Suddenly, coming from behind me, I heard an unpleasant growl emerge. I've heard that noise too many times in the past few weeks, and I was starting to get sick of it. I was afraid of turning back around to see what was going on behind me, but the reflection in the window showed me everything. I saw the faint image of the same black wolf I had encountered earlier on. I froze and held my breath, trying to resist the urge to scream at the top of my lungs.

"Please, don't be scared." The same female voice from earlier on rang in my head.

I took a quick breath, and I slowly found the will power inside of me to turn around and stare at the beast that was sitting in front of me. I then noticed that Sapphire wasn't in front of me anymore, so I looked around for her, but she was nowhere to be seen. "What did you do to her?"

"To who?"

"Don't play dumb with me. What did you do to Sapphire?" I was trying to act tough, but I knew I was still vulnerable. If I got this overly sized dog mad enough, it would defiantly kill me in a matter of 3 seconds.

"Luna, have you seriously now figured it out yet?" The wolf asked with an attitude. It lowered it's ears a little and sighed.

I examined the canine from it's paws all the way up to the tip of it's ears. It's jet black fur did remind me of Sapphire's long black hair, and they did have the same gorgeous, soft, green eyes. Even the voice in my head sounded similar. Then I remembered when my sister first told me about my new lifestyle as a hunter, and how there are werewolves lurking around. It took me a while, but it finally dawned on me.

"Sapphire?"

The black wolf stared at me for what felt like an eternity, but finally nodded it's head, confirming it's identity.