Twenty Three

The gentle knock on the door had me wanting to escape and because I had nowhere else to go, I reluctantly undid the lock. Jess’s head soon appeared looking rather sheepish and not sure what else to do we both burst out laughing.

She came into the bathroom, now clothed and her face slowly turned red.

“I’m sorry for not telling you.”

We wiped the tears from our eyes and the horrible awkwardness of the situation sunk in.

“Something tells me this wasn’t the first time?”

She shook her head, and sat down on the toilet while I sat on the bench beside the sink.

“No, it started just before he moved out. I thought it was a once off only then we went out for dinner and I may not have been going to my parents all those times either.”

“Why couldn’t you tell me? This has been going on for months. What if I didn’t come back till later?”

Now I was angry, and hurt. I told her everything about Beau and I, yet she couldn’t tell me this? It made sense why he was so annoyed about me sending up the blonde last week and why she was more than willing to let Beau and I go back to our place. Actually it explained a lot of little things I had noticed lately. 

“We weren’t sure if it was turning into something and it wasn’t exclusive, but last week we had a talk and decided to give it a real go. I wanted to tell you, but there has been so much going on in your life – I didn’t want to add to that stress. I’m sorry Bec, really I am!”

I couldn’t be mad at her, not for too long anyway and I wasn’t going to let them get away with it so easily either. Then another though occurred and it scared me more than anything else.

“And if you guys break up?”

“Then I’m sorry, but you can’t have John as a brother anymore. I call dibs.” She crossed her arms, frowning. “Seriously, we weren’t exactly best friends before this and we can move on. We’re both adults.”

“Speak for yourself, its John.”

“I know.” She laughed and stood, moving to give me a hug.

“Ew! No! Brother germs!” I quickly moved out of her way, and ran from the bathroom to find John gone. “And where is the golden child?”

“He gave us some space, and I think he’s more embarrassed about it than you are!”

Groaning I fell onto my bed, thankful it wasn’t creased or looked like anyone had laid on it.

“So did the black wonder get a work out last night?” She jumped on beside me, clearly forgetting my freak out and I rolled away, glaring. “Sorry, but did it?”

“No, I passed out. Oh and by the way – sex talk. Not happening. Don’t even say one word about anything you two are up to ok?”

“But Bec, your brother is such a generous lover!” She rolled the r and I covered my ears, possibly needing therapy already 

“La la la I can’t hear you la la la!” 

She grabbed her bag and pointed at it, shutting me up.

“Fine, I’m going to shower so you’ll let me hug you. I don’t care if you’re covered in Beau germs!”

“That’s because you wish you were covered in Beau germs.”