Twenty.

Dinner with my parents came around sooner than I expected. I even offered to spend more time at work, which would have been fine if not for the fact I had offered to pick up Beau from the airport.

“It’s Friday, way past knock off time and you have a god of a man waiting at the airport. Get out!” Sparky ordered, packing my bag up for me, I wondered if I vomited I would feel better. Maybe I could have sworn John and Nana to secrecy so Mum wouldn’t be demanding I bring Beau home to meet them. Maybe I could lie and say we broke up?

“He’s right Bec, get out. I’ll see you tomorrow night at Mum and Dads.” John joined my farewell committee as Sparky pulled out my chair. He was never this nice when it came to Beau and didn’t help my anxiety at all, knowing full well he was only trying to lessen my stress for tomorrow.

“If I leave then it’s happening!” I groaned, glaring at Sparky as he smacked my ass in a bid to get me moving to the elevator.

“Why is that so bad?” Sparky looked at John who only shrugged, not willing to share.

“You know how much of an ass he is right? Well triple that and you might get a glimpse at what my Dad is like.”

“He’s not that bad,” John quickly defended, but we both knew it was true. “I’d be more worried about Mum planning your wedding. Nan has been laying some good group work for him to build on!”

“Oh dear god, she’s not coming tomorrow is she? I don’t need her trying to make a pass at my boyfriend!”

“Dunno. Now go or you’ll be late!” His lack of no told me she would be and going through the lobby the rather attractive blonde at the front desk caught my attention.

“But John, I mean Mr. Adams told me…”

“Can I help you? I’m his PA?” I introduced and Harry the security guard only smirked.

“Oh,” She looked me over quickly and I tried not to roll my eyes. “I’m his girlfriend, Nicola. I’m sure he’s mentioned me?”

“He has been very busy Nicola, what’s the problem here?”

“John must’ve forgotten to tell Harry here about me too. After our date last week he said he’d arrange something for this weekend and…”

I held up my hand, smiling at her while hoping I didn’t look like an evil grinning lunatic. Just because John was being nice today, didn’t make me forget the last few months of hell.

“No need to explain, I got this Harry.” I walked her back over to the elevator knowing full well Nicola had been just another bed warmer for John, and as bad as I felt for Nicola, I wanted to make him suffer.

Just a little bit.

“Turn left and follow the corridor straight down into Mr. Adams office!”

I hit the button for our floor, returning her smile as the doors closed and wished I could have been there to see his face when Nicola appeared at his door.

-

The airport was surprisingly empty and finding a parking space in the short term I headed over to the arrivals. The plane had landed about fifteen minutes earlier and the swarm of people heading towards the bag pick up told me I was on time.

I searched through the crowd, unable to see him and wondered if something had happened for him to be delayed or hidden out of sight. Ignoring the messages from John, I had nothing from Beau and started to get worried.

“Are you looking for someone Miss?” The slightly southern voice broke into my concentration and I clutched my chest in fright as I spun around.