Sixteen.

Once dessert had been cleared, De Lucca excused himself to take a phone call and Leah went inside to get us all another drink with help from Beau and despite dinner going well, John was quick to pounce as soon as it was just the two of us.

“Why didn’t you tell me he was De Lucca’s nephew?”

“What does it matter? Besides I had no idea and when I did find out I repeated it like three times for clarification!” I snapped back.

“If you two break up, I better not lose my job. I have worked my ass off for the last few years to get where I am! Why Bec? Why couldn’t you have found anyone else in the whole world to start dating?” He groaned, slumping back into the chair.

“De Lucca is really professional; he even said they keep it quiet. I’m sure this won’t impact you at all” I could understand his worry, but it wasn’t like I set out to do it to him on purpose. “I didn’t even know until tonight!”

“Everything ok?” Beau was back and looked between us frowning. John sat a little straighter and nodded, taking the beer from him, and it otherwise kept quiet.

“John, my brother would like to speak to you. If he gets to into work now, just come back and I’ll deal with him” She smiled softly and again John only nodded, getting up he headed inside. If Leah thought he was being rude, she didn’t show it.

“Everything ok?” Beau asked again, taking Johns seat beside me.

“Yup! The food was amazing Mrs. Morgan”

“Please call me Leah! I wish I could take the credit but we had caterers come in. I can’t cook to save my life, even after Beau sent me to cooking classes!” She laughed and laughing with her I turned to Beau.

“You sent your Mum to cooking classes?”

“She wanted to learn! I didn’t force her or anything.” He defended.

“My husband used to do all the cooking; the best I can manage is scrambled eggs!” Her smile faltered slightly, just for a second and I knew it was because of the mention of Beaus’ dad.

“Well that makes two of us, though I can manage to poach them too!”

“But you love food, how do you not cook?” Beau sounded astonished at this revelation.

“Yeah I love to eat, when other people cook it for me. Except Jess, I would rather eat my own arm than anything she makes.” Leah looked confused as Beau laughed, “Sorry, Jess is my roommate”

“So you work with your brother Bec?” Leah questioned.

“I do, just his PA though it seems more like mother half the time. He lets me get involved in a lot though, I think he’s hoping I’ll do what he did and work my way up.”

“He is a smart boy; I know Adrian has big plans for him. Is that not something you’d be interested in?” Something changed then, Beau got tense beside me as his grip on my hand tightened a little bit and Leah was no longer smiling.

“Well, yes, but I’ve been spending some time with Spar.. Angus, and I’m actually looking at going into some graphic design courses next year”

“Really? I didn’t know that?” Beau was quick to answer and I just shrugged.

“He let me play around with one of Pot Lucks albums and he’s actually going to submit it with the others he’s done. Most of it is on the computer anyway so I don’t have to have any actual drawing talent.”

“So you wouldn’t maybe go the other way, like writing or anything like that?” Leah asked suspiciously and looking at Beau he only rolled his eyes.