Thirteen.

Sunday morning I was able to have the time to stay in bed I’d been wanting all week. It was only made better by the warm body beside me who was still sleeping off his hangover. By eleven I got up, took an uninterrupted shower and packed up my belongings by the time Beau stirred.

“Hey Angel.” He yawned, stretching and looking around the peaceful calm on his face vanished as he must have remembered last night. “I’m so sorry!”

“You can’t keep doing that Beau. How often does this actually happen?” I already felt like a nagging girlfriend, but I preferred to think of it as concerned friend.

“Every other night.” He admitted, shuffling up to sit up in the bed. Patting the space beside him I headed over.

“I think you need help, it’s not healthy. Didn’t you go to rehab last year?” I remember the article about it and also hearing that girl band talking about it at the concert. It also explained Sticks reaction to him drinking on the balcony when we first met.

“That wasn’t for booze, that was for the drugs.” Beau sighed, rubbing eyes.

“You are such a wonderful talented person Beau, why?” I was in over my head. I should have dated more so I could have some idea on what to do. Walking away didn’t seem to be an option and right now, that would only hurt him more.

“It gets hard sometimes,” He shrugged, “I hate myself, a lot. The drugs and booze just block that out for a while. My fans love me, but they love the guy on stage. The band puts up with me because it’s all they’ve ever known. Friends just use you for free passes and the money, the person I thought loved me was just using me and left me once she was done.”

“It’s not like that at all Beau. The band love you, I can tell from the way they defend you. Ten years of routine would have had them breaking a long time ago and I know some people can still see you, not just the rock star.” He didn’t believe me, his eyes glazed over as I tried to find some positivity in his life.

“If you want out, I understand.” It came out like a whisper, “you’re too good to put up with this.”

“I don’t know why you put me on a pedestal Beau. I don’t want out, stop trying to push me away.”

We just sat there in a silence for what felt like an eternity until there was a knock on the door. I knew John was out, so curiously headed over to find Sticks standing there.

“Morning Rebecca.” He greeted cautiously.

“Good morning Sticks” I crossed my arms over my chest, determined that he wasn’t going to push me around.

“Um, can I come in? Please?”

Nodding I moved out of the way and closed the door behind him and I heard him say something quietly to Beau as he entered the main area.

“Sorry about last night, man.” Beau got out of bed, if he had been a dog his tail would be curled under his legs.

“Don’t worry about it.” Sticks shrugged it off, as Beau looked at me.

“No I will worry about it. You guys put up with a lot from me, you shouldn’t have to”

“We don’t care, you’re our brother. If it was the other way around, you’d be doing the same for us.” Clearly they were having a moment and I contemplated leaving. “Ah we need to go, got that interview at one”

“Ok, I’ll be up in a sec.” Sticks nodded and as he passed he whispered sorry under his breath, leaving us alone again. That was more than I ever expected to hear from him and I knew they were starting to accept me.