Two.

If I thought coming home to a table full of candles was surprising, walking down what had once been our hallway to our bedrooms topped it. All around discarded items of clothing was piled on the floor, a few pieces hanging off an unused picture hook and outside Jess’s door, a tank top had become hooked on the small chandelier. A shiver ran down my spine as I compared it to a massacre and paused to reach up and get the top down.

“Ah Jess?” Looking into her room it would easy to think we had been robbed. Her drawers were out of their cabinet and by the biggest one, which was tilted against her bed, Jess sat on the floor folding her underwear into perfect little squares as if the chaos around her was not there.

“Welcome home hunny” She teased, looking up at me I spied one of my rather expensive aqua heels beside her knee and dropping the top went to pick it up.

“Seriously? Where is the other one?” I demanded, holding it like a baby against my chest.

“Um, well. Incase you haven’t noticed I’m redecorating and….”

“You don’t know do you?”

“Nope”

“What is all this?” Looking around I saw other pieces of my missing clothing and giving up on what would only lead to an argument, flopped down on her bed.

“Packing! Haven’t you started yet?” Getting up she took her folded clothing over to her suitcase that sat in the doorway of her wardrobe.

“Ah no, we’re going for three nights. To a concert?” Of course I knew her packing skills trumped my own and tomorrow night, well probably Friday morning I’d be running around like she was now doing the same thing.

“Exactly and you’re not borrowing any of my clothes” She answered quickly, shoving a pair of my jeans into the case and looking guiltily back at me.

“Right” Looking over to the picture on her desk I remembered Rosa and decided Jess might get something out of my sighting. “Forgot to tell you I saw Rosa last week, her boyfriend does chemistry” I mocked.

“She isn’t so bad Bec, but I thought she’d be like a demon in a church and burst into flames or something walking into a library” I had to laugh at that despite how cruel it was.

“But seriously, we leave Friday morning. It’s Wednesday night, I know you and you’re going be screwed when the taxi gets here to take us to the airport” Jess sat beside me on her bed; leaning over the other side she reappeared with my shoe. “See, totally knew where that was”

“Liar”

“Go pack! I’ve planned each outfit plus extra should John get us into of those after parties you see in the magazines” She ushered me out of her room and I knew she was right so an hour later when my room was in a similar state, I was glad I had the time to plan too.

The sun wasn’t even up on Friday morning as we slowly left the house and the taxi driver had just put our cases in the back when Jess went sprinting inside.