Nine.

“Bec?”

“Hi Beau.”

“I didn’t expect to hear from you again.” Relief was clear in his tone and it took me by surprise. I was expecting rudeness, rejection - anything else, but that.

“Well I didn’t expect to call you either,” I paused not sure if I should get straight to the point or go with the how are you pleasantries. Instead Beau took the lead.

“How are you? I wanted to call you, but I didn’t think you’d answer.”

He was right, I probably wouldn't have and I decided to get straight to the point.

“I’m fine. Look, I just saw your interview on channel 23.”

Silence.

“Did you really get with Rosa that night?”

“Is that why you called?” He was guarded again, and if he had been standing in front of me I could imagine him tense up.

“Yes. Did you, do, anyth…”

“Why do you even care Bec? Is this being recorded or something?”

I could hear voices in the background and wondered how live the show had actually been. The fact he accused me of using him again grated against my nerves and I couldn't hide the cold edge to my voice.

“I know her ok. I just, I saw the TV and you ran away from her when we had been dancing and…”

“Tell me why you care.” There was a slam in the background and then another that sounded like a car door closing before the hum of the engine filled the silence. “Bec, tell me why and I will tell you the truth.”

Sighing I hesitated, but I had to know.

“Fine. I really liked you ok? I thought that for once I was special and that you wanted me. Hearing that about Rosa hurts. And I hate it and I sound stupid, I know, but please Beau, tell me it’s not true!”

“Liked?"

Groaning I tried to keep the conversation on topic. "Beau, answer me."

"It’s not true.”

“I thought hearing you say it would help, but I guess you can tell me anything and I’d never know. Sorry for calling” I went to hang up when he stopped me.

“Bec, I’m glad you did. Look the truth of it all is I met Rosa at the photo shoot we had to do before the club opening for the promo posters afterwards. She was there with a bunch of reality bitches to do their part after us. The closest contact we’ve had was on that stage when she introduced us!”

I wanted to believe him.

“Are you there?”

“Yeah, sorry.” I didn’t know what to do now.

“I’ve been used, a lot. This isn’t new and it pisses me off. People are always trying to take advantage of my fame and I am really sorry I thought you’d be doing that too.” He sighed, and I remembered how tired he looked on the TV.

“I believe you. Are you ok? You looked like shit on TV.” I settled on my bed, more at ease and it was like we back in last week when we could just sit and talk. If he thought about it, I already had enough dirt on him from all those calls, not to mention all the texts and emails too.

“Honestly, I’ve felt like a world class jerk after Sunday.”

“Seriously?”

“Well, yeah. You trusted me and I blew it.”