Chapter 27

Chapter 27

Someone was lightly knocking on my door. I felt too sleepy to move, let alone get up from my bed.

“Cassidy!” My dad called, because the door to my room was still locked from the previous night.

“Coming,” I said, begrudgingly.

Slowly and weakly, I made my way towards the door.

“How are you feeling pumpkin?” My dad asked, making his way into my room.

He had a tray with food. When I turned to look out the window, I noticed the sky was clear but the light bothered me.

“What time is it?”

I stretched myself, before lazily sitting down on my bed. A yawn escaped my lips and I noticed my dad was looking at me strangely.

“It’s seven. Did you have a rough night?”

“Uh, not really,” I replied, running a hand through my hair nervously.

“You went to bed early, but you look dead tired,” my dad said, sounding worried.

He walked closer to me and felt my forehead.

“You don’t have a fever,” he commented distractedly, while pressing both of his hands on either sides of my face.

“I’m fine, I probably overslept,” I lied, trying to cover up the fact that I had been out most of the night with Liam.

“Do you want to go to school?” My dad asked, his usual smile returning after I told him I had overslept.

I groaned on the inside, hating the idea of leaving my bed. In those moments, my pillow was my best friend and I had no interest in abandoning it. However, in order to keep up my cover, I had to sacrifice my precious sleep.

“Yeah, I should probably go. If I miss it, I’ll regret it later anyways,” I said, taking a bite from the slice of toast.

“That’s my little trooper, always looking at the bright side of things,” my dad replied, making fun of me.

By the time I arrived at school, there were about ten minutes before the bell. School was something I had not missed. I cursed myself for being unconscious during the weekend instead of a school day. For that though, I could only blame Liam.

I walked to my locker and found Micah and Zev standing next to it.

“I thought you might come,” Zev said as he wrapped an arm around my shoulders.

Micah opened my locker and shoved my things in there, getting only the books I needed before lunch.

“Micah, have I reminded you lately how awesome you are?”

Micah chuckled and shook his head at me.

“No, but thanks for noticing,” Micah said with a smile, as he shut my locker.

“Well, you are. And tone it down boy. I’m the only one who can be cool around here,” I told him, crossing my arms and trying to put on a serious face.

Zev started laughing at us while Micah flicked my nose.

“Yeah, keep telling yourself that,” Zev said, making fun of me.

The moment the halls started to clear up, I knew it meant one of two things. Either the bell was about to ring or Layton was trolling around.