Chapter 24

Chapter 24

I could hear voices in the background. My body felt at ease, but something was different. Slowly, I tried to open my eyes. I wanted to know what was happening.

When I took the plunge and opened my eyes, I ended up closed them again. The bright light in the room hurt my eyes, and I couldn’t stand to keep them open.

“She’s awake!” I heard someone yell.

When I finally opened my eyes, I realized I was in my room.

Layton, Zev, Micah, and Jared were in the room with me. The guys quickly approached me when they noticed I was awake.

“How do you feel?” Zev asked me softly.

“Tired and thirsty,” I answered, my voice sounding very hoarse.

“You worried me so much. What happened?” Layton held my hand.

There were bags under his eyes. He looked really tired, and that must’ve been my fault.  

I hurriedly drank the two cups of water that Micah offered. When I looked up, I found four pairs of eyes gazing at me expectantly.

It seemed like there was nothing I could do. I needed to test my lying skills or confess everything about me.

“Where’s Liam?”

“He has been here since we brought you two days ago. Right now he’s with his parents. Liam and my father cleared things up. Liam decided to return to the pack,” Zev answered.

“What about the other Rogues?”

“They have been taken care of. Six of them went against us, and we had to take different measures. A few of them decided to leave, and the rest are joining my pack,” Zev replied, taking on a different expression.

“Cassidy, you’re avoiding the question. What happened? You’ve been unconscious for two days and the fever has been over 105 degrees the entire time,” Layton questioned me.

“Well, a douche bag insulted the human race and I got really angry. I started feeling sick and apparently fell unconscious for two days with a very high fever,” I answered, proud of what I replied.

“Liam hasn’t said anything, but I know he knows something,” Zev added.

“I don’t know what he knows,” I snappily replied.

“It’s not like we can ignore how you took down two strong Rogues and the wings that sprung out of your back,” Layton suspiciously said.

The other guys added their own agreements along with him.

“What are you talking about?” I innocently asked.

“When you were feeling sick, Liam asked if it was because of ‘you know what’,” Zev said, adding his input.

“If there is anything at all to say, I’m not talking. So, just give up right now,” I told them.

“I didn’t mean what I said to Liam. I only said that because he acted like if he didn’t owe our pack an apology. I talked to my dad. He’s still mad at Liam, but we’re trying to mend everything with Marcus. Now we know it wasn’t his fault,” Layton admitted.

“You still said those words to him. It was because of comments like the one you made that Liam hated both packs. But I still don’t forgive you. What you said was very hurtful, even if it wasn’t directed at me,” I responded.

It literally wasn’t directed at me either way. I wasn’t a human, but my parents, friends, and family were. Layton should not have belittled people who were weaker than him physically. To me, humans were more than sacred.