Chapter 16

Chapter 16                                                         

I slept for a couple of hours. I woke up to find Layton next to me, lying down on his side, watching me sleep. I didn’t know how he didn’t get bored of just watching me sleep. It was the second time he’d done that.  

“What time is it?” I asked, rubbing the sleep from my eyes.

My body felt a lot better than when I had gone to bed.

“It’s just past two,” Layton replied.

“Your fever went down. It’s practically gone,” he told me, softly running his hand over my forehead and on my cheeks.

He was still worried, but I could tell he was a lot more relaxed than before.

“I can tell. I don’t feel like crap anymore,” I told him.

After I placed my feet on the ground, I got up to stretch. Layton was staring at me, his gaze slowly roaming down my body. I was wearing pajama shorts and a tight tank top. Layton had seen me wearing revealing clothes before, but most of those times we were arguing or he was distracted.

I felt exposed, and the way he was staring at me, hungrily, made me blush.  

“Hey!” I snapped, clapping my hands in front of his face.

I was embarrassed although Layton didn’t seem to mind the view.

“Do you know how hot you look right now?” Layton asked.

He smirked at me, and was cocking an eyebrow.

“Uh huh,” I mumbled, and turned to walk out of the room.

“You really do,” he said.

When I turned back to face him, he was looking down, lower than my back. I narrowed my eyes at him, but it only made him grin at me.

Since I had skipped lunch at school, I felt starved. I asked Layton to cook for me, but he was useless when it came to making a meal. I decided to make mac and cheese, and threw some frozen chicken nuggets in the microwave.

We were both sitting in the booth while we ate.

“How did you spend your Sunday?” I asked Layton, curious as to what he had done all day.

We had talked on the phone, for a very long time. But it had mainly consisted of me doing all the talking and Layton listening to me, only sneaking in a question when he thought I was going to hang up.

“I took care of some pack business,” he replied, eating his food with a serious face, acting like if he was doing homework.

“What does ‘taking care of some pack business mean?”

I couldn’t help but wonder what Werewolves did.

Did they shift and run around chasing squirrels all day?

I brought out my wings whenever I got the chance, but it wasn’t always often. I had to be careful to hide them from view. Or I had to fly really high in the sky to become invisible, which was the only way to actually stay safe from being seen.

“Everyone in the pack has a job. Some do rounds around our territory, other work with the business side of the pack, a couple others manage the pack infirmary, and others take care of the trainings for the younger members. There are more duties, but those are some of the main ones. I usually supervise that everything is running smoothly.”