Chapter 28

Chapter 28

“What do you all think you’re doing?” I shrieked.

I was too nervous about the current situation, and the deadly glares Layton and Zev were shooting at Liam.

“Why was Liam in your house at five in the morning? What were you two doing?” Zev asked in a demanding tone, narrowing his eyes at me.

I finally caught on to what he and Layton assumed. They were both idiots. Layton’s behavior shouldn’t have surprised me. He got mad for the most insignificant things. From Zev though, I wasn’t expecting a scene.

“Cassidy is my mate. This is none of your business!” Layton snapped at Zev, frowning at him.

“Why were you with Liam?” Layton growled at me.

“You were picking on me last night. I wanted company,” I calmly replied.

Layton’s expression slightly softened, but I didn’t entirely fall for it. When I turned to face Zev, he looked hurt, maybe even mad.

“Why would you call Liam and not me?” Zev asked me.

I wasn’t expecting him to get mad over that. I hadn’t called him partly because Layton had been mad over my friendship with Zev, but mainly because I didn’t want to disturb him and Hanna.

I didn’t want to intervene in their time by bringing my problems with Layton, which I usually had a dime a dozen of.

“I had a reason,” I told Zev, staring straight into his eyes, willing him to trust me.

“You know, you could’ve called me too,” Tyler spoke out.

I chuckled, remembering how the previous night I had come to the conclusion of calling Liam.

“I could’ve, but I was being selfish and I wanted someone who would be on my side. Completely on my side,” I said, offering him a smile.

I turned to face Liam, since I felt the waters had calmed down. I knew Layton hadn’t said more because things between us were still shaky.

“What are you doing here anyways?” I asked him.

“I came to visit. I called the school and they told me the lunch hours,” Liam shrugged, looking unaffected by the previous confrontation.

I pulled out my phone and noticed it was almost ten minutes into lunch.

“Uh… can I talk to you?” I asked, turning to face Layton.

He seemed surprised by my question. He probably didn’t expect me to be talking to him so freely after what happened between us the previous night.

“Yeah, of course,” he replied when he recovered.

“I’ll be right back, don’t leave,” I said, looking between Zev and Liam. They both nodded at me.

I walked with Layton a few feet away down the hall. He was walking slowly, so I grabbed his hand and hurried him up. Once I thought we were far enough, I turned to face him.

“I want to go with Zev, Liam, and the guys to the diner without you causing a scene or opposing to the idea,” I told Layton in a pleading voice.

In all honesty, I sounded like a five year old asking her parent for permission, but I didn’t care. If I tried to leave school without at least telling Layton, he wouldn’t let me go. Then I would have Zev, Liam, and Layton starting a fight over something so small.