Chapter 4

(Picture of who I imagine as Jared on the side)

Chapter 4

“Do you need a ride?” Zev asked.

Class was over and everyone was heading out. We were both walking out the double doors after waiting for the rest of the class to clear out.

“I brought my car, but thanks.”

“You drive?” He asked, sounding surprised.

“I do, why?”

“You’re a sophomore. I just thought you wouldn’t drive yet.”

“My birthday was last week. Guess what I got for my birthday?” I asked, grinning.

“You got a car?” Zev offered me a grin of his own.

“Yup, I got my baby last week. It has been the best present my parents have given me so far.”

“That’s cool. My parents also got me a car when I turned sixteen. Very original,” he commented and we both laughed.

“Hey, you never told me what grade you were in.” I still remembered our episode from earlier.

“Well, you never asked,” he replied, sounding smug.

“Yeah I did. I asked what you were and then you freaked out and started acting weird.”

His expression became thoughtful, almost like he was solving a hard math problem.

“Oh, that’s right,” he told me, grinning. “I’m a junior, but I was held back a year.”

“Why?” I questioned.

He did seem like a trouble maker.

“I skipped a year of school, so I had to make up for it.”

Unlike his bad boy appearance, Zev was a complete gentleman. He walked me to my car, opened the door, and even waited for me to reverse out before walking away.

I smiled to myself on the way home. My first day of school hadn’t been as bad as I expected. I made friends, even though most were guys. With the exception of Layton’s behavior, I considered today a success.

That night, I kept thinking about Layton. I thought about how annoying he was and how much his presence bothered me and what a nuisance he was.

Just before I drifted off, I replayed the moment when we touched. Despite his bipolar behavior, I couldn’t forget the sensations that ran through my body the moment he touched me.

With that feeling in my mind, I allowed sleep to take over.

The next morning, my alarm went off at 6:45.

I took my time getting ready for school. My parents had already left, and I was alone in the house. I’d been warned of how little I would be seeing of them.

Their jobs were not only far away, but they were time consuming. It was our third day in this town and I was already missing my parents.

By 7:25, I was in my car heading for school.

When I arrived, students were all over the parking lot or in the picnic tables scattered outside. I had almost fifteen minutes to spare, which I was going to spend next to my locker.