Chapter 35

Chapter 35

“No, she won’t want that,” somebody distantly said.

I could feel my body waking up, but I was too tired to move. I felt numb and my legs ached.

“I know. But he deserves it.” Layton’s authoritative voice resounded clearly around the room.

When I finally opened my eyes, I realized both Layton and Zev were in the room. My eyes roamed over my surroundings, and I noticed the place I was in looked familiar. Nate had taken me there one of the times Layton and Zev were about to fight.

I was in Zev’s room.

“Hey, you’re awake,” Zev said, coming to my side.

He was smiling down at me. It must’ve been a while since he slept. There were bags under his eyes, and he looked tired.

“I’m awake,” I said, my voice sounding croaky. My throat felt dry, and I was aching for an icy cold glass of water.

“How do you feel?” Layton asked me, sitting closer to me.

“I feel fine. It doesn’t hurt anymore,” I told them. My body wasn’t in pain anymore, and I no longer felt the bite on my shoulder. 

“My pack doctor gave you some meds. The bite didn’t heal quickly, but the doctor says it will go away eventually. You won’t even scar,” Zev told me, slightly grinning.

“It was really deep,” I said, trying to see the wound. It was covered by white gauze.

I tried to pull away the coverings, but Layton’s hand stopped me from doing so. He shook his head, and offered me a half smile.

It didn’t hurt, so I was hoping it wouldn’t look bad. I automatically thought about the gashes that I had in my back. Layton must’ve caught on to what I was doing because he answered my question even before I asked it.

“The claw marks healed. That went away right after you passed out,” he said, offering me a small smile.

“How come that healed but the bite didn’t?”

“We don’t know. We both asked our pack doctors and they can’t explain it. Our best guess is that you aren’t immune to our bite. Anything else will heal fast though, like the claws did,” Zev explained.

It made sense. When Layton bit me, it didn’t heal. Those were the only times that my healing gift hadn’t worked. I was quiet for a while— thinking about what had been bugging me since the guy had bitten me.

Both Layton and Zev caught on to my expression, and immediately went serious.

“What’s wrong?” Layton asked, scooting closer to me.

“Did the guy, the one who bit me, did he claim me?” I asked them, swallowing loudly.

Zev smiled, and let out a chuckle. Layton didn’t look too happy with my question, but he cracked a small smile after.

“That’s not how claims work. I can see why you were confused. The guy bit lower on your shoulder. It’s a good distance from where a claim should be,” Zev explained, giving me a full on grin.

“Liam told me he could do it over Layton’s claim. He said that I could be his mate,” I told them, remembering Liam’s words.

As soon as I said that, Layton let out a loud animalistic growl. I shrunk back on my bed, surprised by his reaction. Zev just stared at Layton disapprovingly, but he didn’t say anything.