Chapter 32

Chapter 32

“You guys came early,” I commented, my eyes on Zev.

I didn’t even want to turn to face Hanna. Layton wrapped his arm around my waist, and he pressed me against his side. Layton and I arrived early, but Zev and Hanna still made it before us.  

Zev let out a small laugh, and he motioned for us to take a seat. Both Hanna and Layton were quiet. They were still staring at each other, and it bothered me. 

We took a seat opposite of them. I sat in front of Zev while Layton took the seat in front of Hanna.

“So this is your girlfriend?” Layton asked Zev, while he turned to look at Hanna.

“Hanna, this is Layton,” he introduced them.

Hanna smiled at Layton, keeping her gaze on him. Layton responded with a slight nod and then drifted his attention back to Zev. I couldn’t help but notice Hanna kept her eyes on Layton. The way she was eyeing him was unsettling me.

“When Cassidy told me you had a girlfriend, I didn’t believe her. I guess I had to see it to believe it,” Layton told Zev.

Before anyone else could say something, the waitress came to take our order.

After she left our tension filled table, I wondered if there was a way to make the waitress interrupt us more often. It seemed like the mood around us relaxed when there was someone else around.

“When Cassidy proposed we all go on a double date, I knew there was an ulterior motive for that,” Zev told Layton, almost sarcastically.

I felt guilty for tricking him into coming. Instead of turning up to face him, I looked down at the empty plate in front of me.

Zev reached out and took my hand in his. His thumb ran circles over my skin, and it made me look up at him. I smiled at the gesture.

“It’s cool, Cass. I know it was his idea,” Zev said.

Layton growled and snatched my hand from Zev’s hold, at the same time that Hanna reached for Zev. She tried to growl, but one sharp look from Zev shut her up. It was strange to see Zev acting aggressive, especially towards her.

“I can’t believe you’re touching her while I’m here!” Hanna snapped, sounding bitter.

“Hanna, I just touched her hand. I wasn’t doing anything else,” Zev told her.

“Only because I’m here and her mate is right there,” Hanna said, crossing her arms. “If we weren’t here, who knows what you and this— girl would be doing!”

Zev rolled his eyes and shook his head, but remained quiet otherwise. Layton on the other hand, growled at Hanna. His grayish blue eyes shifted to black, and I noticed his claws extracting.

“Watch what you say about my mate, Wolf,” Layton told Hanna threateningly.

Thankfully, the waitress came with our drinks. We all quieted down while she was there. Layton was shooting daggers at Hanna, and Hanna had pressed herself to Zev’s side. Zev was shaking his head at Layton, but when he turned towards me, he smiled.

“I’m sorry,” I said to him, feeling really bad that I’d set up the entire date. It had been Layton’s idea, but I had gone along with it.

“What exactly are you looking to get out of this, Layton?” Zev asked.

“Nothing really, but I will receive the Alpha title in less than a month. You will get it the weekend after. It seems like you have this Wolf living like your partner, so I wanted to meet your temporary Luna,” Layton replied, putting an emphasis on the word ‘temporary’.