~Sacrifice~

"Mom?" I screamed again. I felt the darkness all around me and in a swift move of something I could not see, I felt myself speeding before I collapsed into a tree. It didn't do much damage and it didn't take much power. The half moon was getting weaker. 

I rattled my brain for answers. 

"Are you the half moon?" I asked, angered but hurt more than anything. 

Demetra was at my side in just a few seconds. 

We were elevated into the air, but only a few feet apart. 

Demetra shook her head. 

"That's not your Mother. The half moon can take on anyone from your subconscious. It's a distraction." She yells to me over the roar and crackling of the forest beneath. 

I hoped desperately Demtra was right. I stared at the face of my mother that was now charred and ugly like a beast. I thought deeply about the roots of many of the trees in the forest and used enough energy to pluck a few of them from the ground like rose petals. As Demetra formulated her own attack, I launched the trees at the head and body of the half moon. A loud roar echoed through the forest. 

In my peripheral I could see a ball of fire being launched at my head, I moved to the side and it seems that the half moon's attack worked against itself. Another loud roar echos and the half moon delivers a blow to Demetra, that is laughable. 

She fights back, sending waves of currents through the tall beast. It crumbles in on itself momentarily before spiking back up. 

"Die already." I curse under my breath. Serenity's face is present in my memory and I want to kill this thing as soon as possible. I feel heat rise up in me and look to Demetra. We didn't say a word but we knew this would be the last hit. This had to be the one to take it down or we would lose as we were almost completely drained. 

The biggest sacrifice known to man has always been and always will be the man. 

Christians believed Jesus died on the cross, that was the self sacrifice to create a whole religion. 

My Father probably knew he was going to die, but he tried to make it all normal and still sacrificed himself as long as he could before the accident. 

Serenity knew she couldn't work alone and while Demetra and I were getting throw around, she sacrificed herself too. It was our turn. 

A few moments pass by and Demetra and I still have our eyes locked as if she was saying everything in the world she never got to say. As if she was apologizing for anything she had done in the pass. I don't know if my face read the same thing but I was thinking this too. I was briefly thinking about how inspired I was to meet her. A few more seconds pass and we do not say our goodbyes, because this is a battle we must win. Not just for us, but for the human population in general.  

I nod, signaling that I was ready. 

With all the power we had left and all the built up rage, Demetra and I, launched ourselves at the half moon, screaming at the top of our lungs. We collide with the unrealistically huge beast and I black out on impact. 

It becomes quiet and all I can see is darkness. 

_________________________________________

Demetra and I awake to a destroyed forest. Every leaf in my path is blackened and frail. The cottage, completely destroyed, the forest nothing more than shrubs, sticks and damaged soil. It goes on for a few miles. 

The sky is gray, creating a grayish ambiance of everything around me. Demetra sits up after a few moments and crawls to my side. I hug her and kiss her forehead because there is no half moon in sight. 

We did it. 

She laughs and I join her momentarily. But it's just us two and the sadness creeps back in. 

Demetra slips Serenity's necklace into my hand and for a moment we cry into ourselves as we embrace one another. I cry for my best friend and Demetra cries for her sister. 

In a quick second, I am in another Realm and Demetra has disappeared from my arms. It is bright and I can feel people around me cheering but I cannot see any faces. 

"Congratulations, Cyrus." I hear my Father's voice say. 

"I always knew that you could do it." 

My breath stops in the middle of my chest. Dad was still in his realm. "I thought you said if I beat- "

"Yes son, I can come back to the Realm but the decision is up to you." He says wisely. 

I know my face is plastered with confusion. 

"What do you mean it's up to me? Of course I want you to come back." I say harshly, almost in demand. 

"The suns have seen a new connection worth saving and so you must chose between myself and your best friend." 

I suddenly want to scream and stomp like a spoiled brat. A few moments ago, I didn't even know I was capable of bringing Serenity back. I just mourned for her, and now I would have to chose between the man who raised me and my best friend. I cupped my face into my hands and tried to breathe even. 

"I can't chose between you and Serenity, Dad." I say close to tears. I can barely hear my own voice. 

"You must." He says lightly. 

I can still feel Serenity's necklace in the palm of my hand, though this temporary Realm doesn't show that I hold it. I can feel it's roundness and it's light. I can feel the happiness she brings me. It's her fault we even defeated the half moon. 

I clench my fists and I know my choice. I look up and I can feel Dad smiling. 

"It's alright my son. I love you and I am proud." He vanishes before I can respond and I feel my necklace glow bright before I am back in the destroyed forest. 

The gray ambiance surrounds me and Demetra is at the end of the forest hugging a guy who seems to be about my height. He wraps his pale arms around her and she cries. 

As I pull my eyes away from her private moment and open my hand in search for the necklace but it isn't there. Panic runs through me and I look around on the floor frantically before I hear her sweet and mellow voice. 

"Looking for something?" 

I stand to my feet immediately as her long silk blonde hair and light blue eyes are coupled with the smile that I will love for the rest of my life. I rush into her and pick her up, only to hear the laugh that I have missed so much. She smells the same, she looks as beaten up as we do, and she hugs me tightly. 

"Thank you." She whispers. 

                                                     THE END