~You win some, you lose some~

________________________________________________________________________________

       The days began getting colder and colder. Winter was slowly approaching, my favorite time of year. Not only were the nights longer, but the days were shorter. School seemed to blow by and I was sneaking out to see Demetra on a regular basis. Especially when mom was fast asleep. Homework kept me busy, and Serenity began getting upset that we never hang out like she wants. 

So, that explains why I am sitting here with her, instead of Demetra, who I rather be with at the moment. The coffee shop smelled like fresh cappuccino, it was so warm in here. Outside was pushing 50 degrees and I only had on my sweater. Serenity sat with her coffee mug cuddled into her hands. Her hair was in a tight pony tail and her nose was slightly red. 

"I miss you." She said in a soft baby voice. I smiled and took a sip of my coffe. I honestly did miss her, badly. "Same." I replied. 

She made a stink face at me. "Is it so hard to say it back?" She asked. 

I rolled my eyes and set my cup on the table. "I miss you too pretty grl." 

Serenity's face lit up like a light bulb over an idea. I laughed at how adorable she looked. 

"Where have you been these past days?" She asked. 

My eyes met her's instantly, and I gave her a clueless stare. "I drop you home from school everyday, what are you taking bout?"

"That we don't have any classes together this semester. That your only at lunch sometimes, and those 10 minutes in the car go by too fast to talk about anything." Serenity's eyes awkwardly scanned the shop, like she was embarrassed to say any of this."I don't know. You just seem distant." She added. "New." 

I swallowed my coffee too hard at the last word. She had no idea. Not about the powers, or me seeing Demetra more often than I do her. I felt so bounded, I should be able to tell her anything. Shouldn't I? That's what friends are for. 

"Your right. I'm sorry." I answered. I added another packet of sugar to my coffee and used the tiny spoon to play around in the mug. 

"I have to tell you something." I started. Serenity sensed that it seemed serious and her big blue eyes stared into my face, probably trying to read my emotions. 

"Remember how I've been hanging out with Demetra?" 

"Uhm. Yea."

"Well i'm thinking about asking her out." I said bringing my coffee to my lips immediately. Serenity choked on her beverage for a couple seconds. 

"What?" She spat. She noticed how loud she was because the guy reading the newspaper and a feeble old lady turned around to look at her. She smiled apologetically. 

"What?" She said in a firm whisper. I tried not to smile. Here we go. 

"Your gonna ask out the hitch-hiker, Max? The weird girl who almost crashed into you?" Her voice was pleading. "Don't do it." 

"Stop. She's not as bad as you think. I really like her, so please stop calling her that." 

"Calling her what?" Serenity questioned. I looked at her like she was an annoying child. "Oh. A hitch-hiker?" She realized. 

"...I like her. Probably more than I have liked any girl, I have been with." I said. My eyes were distant thinking about her, but when I glanced at Serenity again, she was doing the classic gag face. 

"Okay. Talking to you is like talking to a 5 year old." I commented. Serenity's eyes narrowed and she got serious. 

"Look, if you like her that's great. You guys can get married and have freaky babies for all I care."