~Unresponsive II~

After training together for a few hours, midnight hit and we began getting tired. We all knew the difficulty of falling asleep at a time like this. Even though Serenity guaranteed us another night to prepare, I can’t help but think that the half moon could show up at anytime now. The skies were darker than usual and the moon did not hold its normal essence of light. It was like a dimly lit lamp. Like something was holding back its rays. I watched it from the window of the living room the whole night. 

Serenity fell asleep without blinking twice. I had to admit that it was attractive the way she took control today. It really did open my eyes as to the danger we were in. It was no time for childish games. Serenity balled up on a futon with a small blanket over her. She looked everything but powerful in that moment. So innocent and childlike. I looked to the other side of the room where Demetra sat up with her back against the wall. Her eyes were closed and I wasn't sure if she was sleeping until I saw her head fall to the side. Her lips were moving and I couldn't make out words. 

I listened harder and watched her closely. It was easy to tell now that she was sleeping. Her eyes were darting back and forth as her dream took over her mind. 

"Meta." She mumbled. The word barely passing her lips. I ran the word over and over in my head, trying to figure out what Meta was. Was it important to our survival? Had she been holding out? Of course not. Her holding out on anything that could help us would end her life as it would our own. 

There were no other words I could make out because suddenly Demetra began speaking a completely different language. As I watched in shock, her breathing began speeding up and she was becoming more and more frustrated with whatever she was speaking about. Her fists clenched and she began crying. Quickly, I walked over to Demetra and set my hand on her shoulder gently enough for her not to take it as a threat and throw me against the cottage wall. 

"Wake up." I said shaking her lightly. 

Her fists still remain clenched and her necklace began creating red marks along her neck, due to its tightness. 

"Demetra, wake up. You're having a nightmare." I said nudging harder. 

Her eyes flew open and for a few moments she stared at me as if she did not know who I was. The look in her face turned from fright to complete sorrow. She bit her lips and held back tears threatening to damp her already wet cheek. 

"Get away from me." She mumbled. I looked at her confused. 

"I was just trying to help." I answered softly.

She lifted herself from the couch and went outside of the cabin. 

Demetra's problems should not matter to me right now; I have so much to think about already. So much responsibility in my hands. I relaxed on the couch and closed my eyes, forcing myself into any state of the unconscious. It felt like just a few minutes had passed when the sun broke through the cottage window. I checked the time and found out I had gotten 4 hours of sleep. Not much, but enough to leave me feeling rested. My powers were at full charge though my brain was telling me I needed just a couple more hours. I erased the thought and inhaled deeply waking up my necklace that had gone unresponsive trying to rest itself. 

Looking around the cottage I realized that neither Serenity nor Demetra were there. I walked outside where Demetra was sitting in the soil, her right hand against a tree trunk. 

"Did you get any sleep last night?" I asked taking a seat by her. 

"Enough." She said turning her eyes to me. She seemed to be in a better mood this morning. Her green eyes stunned me as they always did and I was silent for a few moments.

"We need to win, Max. There is no room for mess ups. This is so much bigger than the 3 of us." She turned towards me and took my hand in hers. "I did not give you an honest apology yesterday. I am sorry for acting the way I did. It was childish. If anything was to happen to you or my sister, I would do anything in my power to keep you both alive." 

I nodded feeling a lot less stressed. Whatever the dream was about had changed Demetra. Not only did she apologize to me but she called Serenity her sister; something I have never heard her do. I opened my arms and welcomed her into a long hug. 

"I'm sorry too. For everything." I kissed Demetra's cheek and she smiled and pulled away. 

Suddenly the sound of crunching leaves and sticks began approaching us from the entrance of the forest. Demetra quickly stood up and outstretched both her hands. One pointing to the entrance and the other guarding the sides. I took my stance, ready to attack at any minute. 

"Relax, it's me." Serenity's voice hummed through both our necklaces. "Demetra, get me out of your illusion, I know I’m walking in circles." Her annoyed voice made both of us smile and Demetra dropped her hands. Serenity made her way to us with an annoyed look on her face, she was holding three bags from Burger King. 

"A girl can’t bring her friends some breakfast? Good defense though, I like it."  

She handed both of us a bag, stacked with breakfast sandwiches and bottles of water.

"Thanks." I said. Demetra took her bag and gave her a half smile. 

"Well look at that. You have both found some manners." Serenity laughed and began eating the contents of her bag. The eggs with melted cheese and bacon really hit the spot. I never thought I could eat 5 of them without getting sick but it seemed to be just enough. My energy was at an all time high and I deeply hoped to keep it throughout the day. After breakfast ended we sat there and talked about Demetra and where she had gone. Serenity even apologized for the whole mess of their relationship. 

It got teary when Serenity mentioned this being the perfect chance to apologize because if she had died and not made amends her spirit would not have been happy. I dismissed the thought of her dying after I felt a pain in my chest so intense I couldn't bear it. 

"No talk about dying. That's not going to happen." I said coldly. 

"If the point comes where you have to sacrifice me to win this, don't hesitate." Demetra said looking both of us in the eyes. She was absolutely serious. 

"Seriously guys. This really isn't the way to talk before all this goes down." I said beginning to get upset. 

"No Max, we aren't giving up. This is actually good planning. We can’t be afraid to die going into this." Serenity gulped down her third bottle of water and stood to her feet. 

"If we lose someone and win the fight, just know you have died an honorable death." Serenity added. Demetra nods in agreement and I stare ahead of me trying to block them both out. No one will die if we are all giving it everything we got. 

The day flew by and all of us had contained our energy, incase tonight proved to be the night that we have all prepared for. As the sun began to set, Demetra, Serenity and I gathered deep into the forest and watched it go down. Cuddled next to each other, I could help but feel nothing but love for the two girls I have been with the past few months. I loved them both in different ways but in that moment I knew that I would die for them if I had to. 

I let the thought consume me, and then got over it. My mind was in the right state. I was going to be fearless and give it my all, even if it meant giving my life and I knew the girls would do the same. 

Serenity's head rest on my shoulder and she smelled like flowers as she always did. Demetra's short hair blew around with the wind and her arm grazed mine from time to time. She did this on purpose and I felt that she did it to comfort herself and mine. It felt nice and I have never been so at peace with both of them so close. 

We watched the sun sink below the tress and as the light fell away from us we both noticed something very odd. 

There was no moon to replace it. 

The entire earth was as black as a room without windows at midnight. 

Demetra froze and Serenity's head flew up from my shoulder. 

The words left my lips before it completely registered into my head. 

"It's time."