Chapter 39

Recap

I twisted so that I could look him in the eyes. “Eddie – I’m not going to just sit here and watch everyone else fight. If it comes down to it, I’ll help out.”

Eddie looked like he was about to argue so I put my finger to his lips. “I won’t do anything unless it’s absolutely necessary. But I will fight if I have to. Got it?" 

He sighed and stared into my eyes for several seconds before nodding his head slowly. “Just don’t get hurt.”

“I’ll try my best.”

And I would. But I couldn’t promise him that I wouldn’t get hurt.

__________________________________

Chapter 39

Eddie wasn’t happy with my response. His lips thinned into a grim line and his arms tightened their hold on me. But he knew that I couldn’t promise him more. Whatever happened tomorrow, we both knew that we wouldn’t get away without a fight. And if what Richards had told us was true, there would be enemy weres at this house tomorrow.

I was glad that the Alpha decided to leave my dad here. It made sense to have a high-ranking pack member guarding the central territory, and I was secretly happy it was my dad and not Ryan’s. With him here, I felt a little better. I could keep a better eye on him, as weird as that may sound coming from a daughter. But it was true. I knew he would stick by me, to make sure I was safe, and that meant I would always know where he was, how he was doing. If I couldn’t have Eddie in sight, at least I would have my dad. 

We left the office a couple of minutes later since Eddie’s dad still had some organizing to do for the battle. It was also now just past five, which meant Eddie’s mom probably needed help in the kitchen. I had a feeling everyone still in the house was staying for the night, probably because they either lived far away or they were too hyped up to leave. That was fine by me – I somehow felt more reassured with everyone around, even though I didn’t know many of them.

Eddie’s dad had been right. A lot of pack members did come up to introduce themselves to me once I made it to the kitchen. Some just genuinely wanted to say hello while others were definitely fishing for information. None of it was suspicious, it was just curiosity getting the better of otherwise normally polite individuals. 

One middle-aged were, who was obviously comfortable with being outspoken, asked me pointblank if my ability was that I could copy other gifts. A hush fell over the room and even Eddie’s mom stopped whipping her giant bowl of mashed potatoes.

“Uhh…yes. I believe so since I have the same abilities as three weres I know…knew,” I finally managed to stammer out.

“Well that’s just about the coolest thing I’ve ever heard. So you must have at least five more gifts now that you’ve met some more pack members,” he said matter of factly.

Huh? I must have looked confused because he explained. “I can shift into a monkey as well as a wolf. Normally, it’s not that great, since it’s not like monkeys are exactly fearsome. But in battle, it’s a pretty useful gift since I can scout out the enemy from the tops of trees. That’s basically why I’ve been assigned to the main battle.” His chest puffed out a little as he spoke, as if he were somehow more important because of his ability.

Oh.

“You should try to see if you can do it too. I mean, not right now, but later. I’d be interested to see if you’re able to copy my gift. I can teach you how to swing from trees and stuff. It would be nice having someone to hang out with, literally."