Prologue

Dear All,

Thanks for checking out my first story! I hope you enjoy. Please leave comments, suggestions, and constructive criticisms. :)

Also, I'm totally admitting right off the bat that the first couple of chapters aren't that great. But...I promise, it does get better. So hang on and be patient! Thanks!

P.S. A big thank you to ImWellJel for making the cover! 

© 2011 thecalmsea

____________________________

Thump. Thump. Thump. Thump.

Early morning runs are the best. I love being outside right before the world wakens to a new day. It’s quiet, but not too quiet – I can hear the slight rustling of leaves as a breeze runs through the trees, the gentle trickle of the stream, the crunching of the underbrush as I run. My entire family loves running in the woods. Of course, everyone else can actually run in their wolf form. But since I’m only fifteen, I haven’t gone through the change yet. You see, I’m a werewolf but we aren’t able to call on our wolf side until our 16th birthday.

That’s also the day that we can potentially find our mate, our soulmate – whatever that means. I’m excited about finally being able to change into a wolf – I have just under two more months left until my birthday. But I’m hoping that I don’t actually find my mate for at least a couple more years. Because really, who wants to get shackled to the same guy for the rest of your life right away? Not that I’m a slut or anything. I’m actually probably the extreme opposite of a slut since I’ve only ever had one boyfriend, and that relationship lasted for all of nine days before Matt and I realized we made better friends than lovers (not that we got any further than kissing).

But anyway – the idea of finding my mate at sixteen is disturbing to say the least. I want to be able to experience life before I have to settle. I’m worried that if my mate is from the same pack as my family, that I won’t be able to go out and travel, to see the world and meet new people and live somewhere other than my hometown. Growing up just outside of Boston hasn’t been bad or anything since I’ve been able to both stay close to the woods and have the city, albeit a small one, within a short drive away. But I don’t like the idea of not having the choice to live somewhere else. Gah – I know it’s pointless to worry about this right now, especially since I’ve been told that my mate will be the one to complete me – the one who will understand me the best, love me the most, make me the happiest. I hope that’s true because it would really suck to end up with someone I don’t like.