Chapter 23

Thank you for all of the support! It makes me über-happy that people are always eager for the next chapter!

___________________________________

Recap

Eddie tilted his head slightly back so that he could look into my eyes. While his wolf had settled down, he was still troubled. “You know what this means, don’t you?”

“What?”

“It means that it’s not over. You’re still in danger.”

­­­­____________________________________

Chapter 23

“Yea, that thought had occurred to me.”

Eddie frowned. “And you’re not worried? What about if something worse happens to you this time? Amber’s unpredictable and therefore dangerous.”

“I am worried. But I also realize that what my parents told us doesn’t change anything. If something’s going to happen, it will. The most I can do is be as prepared as I can. Your dad already made arrangements for someone to be with me at the shelter, and I’ll be with you or my friends any other time. She won’t catch me alone again.”

Eddie was still skeptical. I knew that he understood what I meant when I said that my parents’ information didn’t matter. Logically, it made sense to him. But illogically, according to his heart and his wolf, it only proved that I needed to be protected.

He sighed and nodded. I moved to get off his lap, but he held me down and buried his face in my hair. “Let’s just stay like this for a little while. I need to feel you in my arms.”

I wrapped my arms around his back and began gently rubbing. His muscles were tense with unease. I slowly worked my fingers into his lower back, trying to relax him.

Being here with Eddie like this was also settling me down. I wouldn’t admit it to him or my parents, since I didn’t want them to get more anxious, but I was slightly scared. For some reason, I felt like this was bigger than Amber. According to my mom, the woman had said that something about me would attract envy and desire. I guess that statement could be interpreted to mean that the fact that Eddie was my mate had gotten Amber jealous and possessive, but it didn’t seem to fit. I didn’t know what it was exactly, but my gut was saying that this whole situation would involve more than just her.

Knowing that should probably have me hiding under my bed or something, but I was slightly appeased by the fact that this danger would only be for a period of my life. In a way, the woman’s words made me feel better about the whole Amber situation because I now knew that eventually everything would work out, that I wouldn’t constantly be looking over my shoulder. If I had to suffer through this currently, at least I could be reasonably certain that the rest of my life would be free of peril.

Eddie eventually shifted and lifted me up so that I was now sitting next to him. He sat there for a few more minutes before pulling the both of us off of the couch.

“Okay. Let’s go back to my place.”

We didn’t break physical contact the entire ride. As soon as we were in the car, he moved my left hand so that it rested on his leg. He then drove most of the way with one hand so that he could run his fingers through my hair, caress my hand, touch my cheek. It was like he had to constantly be touching me, as if he needed reassurance that I was still there.

Once we got to his house, he led me directly to his room. He began unpacking my bag and putting my clothes away – my underwear in the same drawer as his, my pants and tops on hangers in his closet. He silently handed me my pajamas and toiletry bag and pulled me into the bathroom. Together, we brushed our teeth and then took turns washing our faces. He left me then so I could pee and change, but he was waiting right outside the door. He went in to do the same, except he came out in only his boxers.