Damn Abnormals

Kaminari's POV:

As soon as we pass through the gates, I erased all irritation from my pale face as I threw my now braided hair over my shoulder. I didn't have time to be emotional. Following a deep breath, the fresh smell of grass and soil- a smell I had missed dearly since the last time I had ventured outside the gates -filled my lungs.

Peering out the corner of my eyes I we watch as Eren's face goes from nervous to awed at the first sight of open space, but that didn't last long after remembering the horrors that levelled the town, resulting in the said open space.

I inwardly sigh as a dry gust of wind blew through the ancient and falling houses where the windows were shattered and the doors had fallen dusty, and the buildings themselves were structurally unsound.

The area itself brought back haunting memories that clouded my vision momentarily before it could be shaken away. I mentally note how every house use to contain a family that had probably never made it inside Wall Rose

I push my mare into a gallop as we pass through the deserted town, immediately spotting an incoming titan. "WE HAVE A TEN METER CLOSING IN ON THE LEFT!" But it wasn't my place to intervene, I needn't worry just yet. Others would take care of it. Being in the safety of the centre left rank had its perks. (idk I just winged this as I can't remember xD)

Turning my head to the right, I spot Sasha squealing in horror at the soldiers distracting the titans. With a sigh I turn back to the front, trying to memorise as many faces as possible, remembering that we will never see many of them again.

Eren's voice could be heard from behind me, but I ignore it as I come almost level with Levi. "Think this'll work?" I ask quietly, not wanting to draw attention to myself or Levi's conversation.

His dark eyes briefly meet my own, being as calm and aloof as ever. "It has to-"

"LONG RANGE FORMATION!"

The formation changes rapidly, and with our line of sight increased dramatically, black smoke signals are blasted into the air- abnormals. My palms begin to sweat as abnormals begin rearing their ugly heads. If there's one thing I truly hate more than Titans in general, it's abnormals. Those tricky bastards are difficult and unpredictable to kill when they go to extreme lengths to avoid me.

Although, with the amount of humans around they are willing to get a little closer than normal. Hopefully they will continue to avoid my general area, just as they had done in the past. But honestly, with so many people out and about, they'd be stupid not to risk it.

My fingers begin drumming, anticipating the need to draw my own blade and slay some Titans. I was optimistic that it wouldn't come to it, but you never know, as a scout you have to be prepared for anything, including the deaths of those closest to you.

I share a nod with Levi as we push the horses past the rubble of fallen and decaying buildings, and onto the already assumed path. Memories of the day I willingly entered through those gates just three years ago, begin to flood my vision. At the time I was a brat who just wanted to be with her family, the scouts. But over the years my family had grown to include those from the 104th Trainees.

Our group had moved swiftly on the newer route that we were bring forced along. It had barely been ten minutes since our departure from the gates and already there was another, much closer smoke signal.

Levi and I simultaneously grunt, shooting each other an unamused expression before Levi takes control of the situation. "Smoke signals? Great. Oluo, pass it on!" He commands. It's always amazed me just how aloof he can be during recon missions, a smirk pinches my face at the thought. After my first mission went sour and my comrades dying, Levi had taken me under his wing and into his squad.