Last chapter (31): How to Kill a Vampire

Next spam:

Last Chapter (31):
†How to Kill a Vampire†

Those vampires that worked for Luke didn't even expect an attack led by Vladimir with Caine and Marcus following behind. No, rather than say that they didn't expect it, it's more likely that they underestimated their forces. After toying with them for a while, they didn't put the Vampire King in their eyes - and since they lived here for almost a year, they were no longer as cautious as before - especially after they managed to kidnap an Alne under Caine's eyes. Not to mention that the the trio took only fifty of their people so that their enemies wouldn't notice, and if they did notice, that contempt only grew further.

The reason rogue vampires didn't join another covens is precisely because of their arrogance and self-confidence. And after Luke gave them an opportunity to mock the Vampire King, it's only natural that they'd underestimate Caine. A bunch of fifty vampires wasn't much against their forces. Lost and rogues were more violent and didn't fear death as much. But a fifty vampires with a Vampire King and two elementals was another story altogether.

There was also Luke's fault who, in order to control them and make sure they won't cover under enemy's terrifying power, kept the existence of two elementals secret. Well, he himself didn't know about Vladimir, but seeing as he was sure that he could win against Marcus, he also didn't take Caine as problem.

Power blinds one. Power makes one arrogant. Power makes one think that they can shoulder all responsibilities and deawbacks that come with it. And power that makes one rise naturally ends up being the reason they fall as well.

Either the power corrupts one and makes them self destruct or incites jealousy of others and makes them attack the wielder of power - ruin is the only thing waiting at the end of a long journey. The former is Luke, the later is Caine - the only difference is that Luke hasn't realized the burden of his own power while Caine was well aware of it.

Following that logic, it's no wonder that the truly wise and powerful monarchs didn't want their thrones while fools sacrificed everything they had just to reach the peak, blinded by their own greed and incompetence that made them desire power. By the time they achieved what they worked so hard to get, within the ruins of things that have long been lost - they'll never be able to scavenge what was truly precious to them.

So they go mad.

They seek destruction.

Not their own, though.

But destruction of those who kept what they couldn't. Destruction of the world that took everything from them, while they chased after nothing.

Vladimir used the advantages of shadows all around them to cut those in front of him or strangle them with their own shadows. It was a nasty ability, the one that made him no different than a monster, but if it was useful for those he had to protect. Caine's beloved - beloved of his friend included, so he didn't hesitate to become a monster.

Although he always wore an amicable smile on his face, his true nature was that of a cold-blooded murderer for anyone that dared to harm his family. Even if that someone was his own little brother.

"I'll be going ahead, my guess is that she's under the grounds so I'll take her before things get too complicated up here," he informed before merging with shadows silently.

"I got it, but Vlad... Luke is mine!" he said and Vladimir sighed. He had the most right to kill him, though Vladimir wanted his own piece of revenge for Ana.

By the time he looked back, the little brother who chased after him has become someone whose existence he couldn't accept.

He couldn't... For if he did, he'd have to reject his own, along with all other people that were dear to him.