Chapter 30: Reunion with a Vampire

†Reunion with a Vampire†

Caine screamed out of frustration. It's been hours since Azra mind-linked him and he's still looking around for her with no success. It was exactly the same as before when she dissapeared. He couldn't even mind-link her anymore, not even sense the traces of the path those vampires left when they took her.

Rage.

Although he didn't know where she currently was, he was certain that it was all work of him - Luke. He cursed. It was all his goddamn fault, he shouldn't have left them without supervision, he shouldn't have pry off his eyes from Azriela. He should have watched her because he knew that Luke isn't going to give up that easily.

"Caine, there's no trace of her, but there's been commotion to the east. It might have something to do with Luke," Marcus suddenly appeared informing him.

"What's the commotion all about? Is the case unknown or..." he sighed. That was their only trace. Better something than nothing.

"There's a village to the east, but we've gotten few complaints from the residents that have moved out claiming that it has become a Vampire lair. Seeing as it was this close to us and our vampires don't like residing in the same area in that large number, we could only guess that they're either losts or led by someone there," by the time he finished, Caine already knew that Marcus' guess was right. If they were to kidnap a wolf such as Alne, they wouldn't risk riding with her across the entire continent, so it's better if they first confined her somewhere close by. Moreover, it's precisely because she was an Alne that they needed a large number of vampires to hold her down... Or that's what they thought.

Because they were mated, Caine could, more or less, read her thoughts and with half of them focused on the absence of her wolf, he knew that she stood no chance to get away from Luke.

Shit. They were in deep shit.

He had to think fast, they didn't have a chance to prepare for attack. They had to charge in blindly while they were still there and at least create an opening for Azra to escape. After that, it's all-in war.

"Prepare our people, we're striking before they flee or fortify themself to withstand our attack," he said and with a slight nod, Marcus was already off to fulfill his order.

"Don't rush in blindly, it's almost night."

A voice spoke and Caine didn't even have to turn around to know who was the owner of that voice. Vladimir.

"That's why we need to attack as soon as possi..." he started to reply, but Vlad interrupted him.

"You always forget what my ability is don't you?" and with that he appeared out of Caine's shadow who only sighed in annoyance.

Shadows.

That's what he hated about Vladimir, his ability to control and just poop out of shadows. You just couldn't escape from him, as long as there were shadows, he could travel through them.

"Right. We'll wait for the sunset, there's the most shadows you could use to get fastest there?" he asked and Vlad nodded.

"Precisely, and then I have the entire night to do as I please. Seeing as Luke believes that I'm dead, he won't prepare countermeasures so I'll have the entire night I could fight to my best.