Mountain Keep

We'd been riding hard and fast for hours it seemed, each bump excruciating and bruising the bone, I had no doubt I'd be a mass of bruised flesh by the time this ride was over. The everlasting bouncing made me feel sick and we'd already had to stop very briefly several times for me to vomit so Francois did not wear it. The night air seemed extra cool about me even though it was only July, subconsciously my hands went to my stomach; I still didn't understand how I looked so far along or why I was so sick. Letting out a low hiss I cuddled closer to Francois which did no good because he himself seemed chilled to the bone.

      "Just a few more hours Mi'Lady." he whispered as a tear of pain rolled down my cheek, "Please, bare with it a little longer Mi'Lady" he pleaded.

      I knew Francois felt bad that we had to travel this way, I knew he was angry and blaming himself, I felt it ooze off of him like a glue oozes between cracks. Another bump sent me leaning forward over Francois arm as a stream of dark bile spewed from me.

      We traveled on, my bones aching so bad I wanted to scream but all I could do was cry so burying my face in Francois chest I allowed myself to be weak.

      As the early morning sun rose the air around us chilled further as we reached the base of a mountain; but the sun felt warm on my face. Letting my head lean back I closed my eyes basking in the slight warmth of it.

      "It's all uphill from here Mi'Lady...and...I'm sorry but the terrain will be rougher despite the stone path that leads to it." Francois whispered, his skin had slowly reddened with the sun.

      With the sun's warmth on my face and encircled safely in Francois stone embrace I felt myself dozing.

      In my slumber I saw him, I saw Xander. 

      He stood with his legs spread and surrounded by several men his sword at the ready, his clothes were torn and soaked in blood and something was just not right in his face. His face was bloodied and looked contorted, his eyes held a crimson hue and he looked crazed. Slowly I took a step towards him and turning to me he stared at me, or was it right through me, either way he looked at me as if he didn't know me.

      'Xander' I called to him taking another step forward, this was yet wasn't the man I loved.

      His eyes narrowed at me as he rushed towards me with his sword drawn, I felt his blade stab through me and I screamed, instead of looking at me he buried his face in my throat and I felt a sharp pain as his teeth tore into it.

      'Xander...it's me...it's Freya...Xander...p...please.' I heard myself gurgle out weakly and as if it had just sunk in his head shot up, his eyes cleared and fear ripped through them.

      'Freya...no no no Freya!' he cried as he released me and stepping back he looked at what he had done then looking down at his hands his eyes widened further as he let out a scream of agony; I reached for him but I was being pulled away by some force.

      "Wake up...please wake up Lady Freya!" a pained voice called, "Please, please come back to us!" the voice continued calling and somewhere beneath the voice was a child's cry, "Wake up dammit Freya!" the voice screamed angrily.

      Xander's face came back into focus, 'You have to wake up now for me love...you have to wake up.' he repeated then backed further away as I was pulled away his face grim.

      "Big sister please wake up, don't leave me!" the child's cry entered the white haze that had begun to surround me.

      Looking back at Xander I didn't want to leave, "Xander!" I screamed as I shot up, stone cold arms catching me as a sigh of relief filled my ears.

      "Mi'Lady." Francois said as I looked at him.

      "Francois...you're ble..." I began only for him to interrupt.

      "It's a condition." he quickly said wiping at his eyes then he done something completely out of character for him, he threw his arms about me and hugged me.

      Soon both Amelia and Yvette had joined and I let out a little yelp as they squeezed me, instantly they all backed off and released me.

      "Now that she has woken, Yvette please go prepare them food." he asked; had they already reached the mountain keep?

      "Yes, come Lady Amelia you must be starving." Yvette cooed as Amelia hugged me again gently. Wrapping my arms around her I hugged her as tightly as I could then released her.

      "Yes...go with Yvette please Lady Amelia, Lady Freya needs rest." Francois pleaded, shaking her strawberry curls she grabbed Yvette's hand and left the room with her.

      As they left it suddenly hit me that something smelled terribly sweet and delicious, leaning back I felt my eyes grow wide, it was Francois!

      "You smell so good." I said uncontrollably and inched closer to him again.

      "Ah...yes...first...I have some explaining to do...I cannot wait any longer...I had hoped this war would end quickly enough..." he muttered, "There are some...things...you must have noticed that are odd." he stumbled out then waved his hand to my bulging belly.

      "Yes...I've grown quiet large rather quickly...and..." I paused and looked down at my thin hands, they were nothing but skin drawn too tightly across bone, "I'm dying Francois...I can feel it." I whispered out my worst fear to him, his head lowered but before it did I caught the confirmation in his eyes.

      "Yes...you are...and just now...you vary nearly did...I've been trying...but if...if I cannot get Xander back here..." he choked out, it frightened me to see Francois so distraught.

       "The baby...it's killing me isn't it..." I muttered, as some part of my heart shattered another part grew stronger, more reserved, "It's...it's not..." I began...but how could I utter the words...how could I bring myself to say that my baby...that mine and Xander's child was not normal.

      "No...Lady Freya it is not...Lord Xander and I..."

  © Eva Henderson, 2016